washing eggs so I have conducted some research

mbnewby

Songster
9 Years
May 14, 2010
washing eggs so I have conducted some research

washing eggs so I have conducted some research on this matter and my finding is its fine i used just clean runningb water on both chicken eggs and turkey eggs .both reuslts aginst a control group that didnt get washed was i got all the eggs i washed to hatch i used a sponge abrasive pad and clean running water no soap

it definaftally make to candle eggs easer if there clean the benefit out ways the dander i think seeing i didnt have any eggs fail

Dirty eggs do not hatch for me. If it has been raining or snowing, my eggs get washed as soon as I collect them, and before storage. It seems no matter how much clean bedding and nesting material I have the eggs are soiled in bad weather. In dry weather, I do not need to wash the eggs. I do use antibacterial soap, a scrub brush and fresh warm water (110 F). I have even dipped badly stained eggs in a dilute bleach water with good results. See what the ALBC says about washing eggs. Page 25. http://albc-usa.org/documents/MasterBreeder/turkeys_combined.pdf

Collecting
Eggs

Eggs are collected at least twice a day with the smallest amount of disturbance to the hens as possible. The routine of collection should be consistent and follow a predictable pattern for the birds so they know what to expect from day to day.

There is much debate about cleaning hatching eggs. Some producers say they shouldn’t be cleaned because it removes a protective coating that helps the egg combat harmful bacteria. Others are adamant about cleaning with at least warm, soapy water or an appropriate disinfectant such as Tectrol so that feces and other contaminants will be removed from the surface of the eggs. If the decision is made to clean the eggs, the water and disinfectant should be at least 20°F degrees warmer than the egg and is at least 90°F (preferably between 110-115°F) The disinfectant can be poured over the eggs or the eggs may be dipped in the disinfectant for up to thirty seconds. This action makes the egg contents swell and pushes dirt away from the pores of the egg. Washing in cooler water will force dirt into the pores of the eggs and trap contaminants as the contents contract.

Eggs can be stored for up to 10 days prior to incubation in an area (such as an egg cooler or closet) that is preferably between 50-60°F with a relative humidity of 70-75%. A regular family refrigerator is not recommended as the temperature within can fluctuate. Remember, cell division begins within the eggs at 72°F so higher temps are to be avoided when storing eggs.

Stored eggs are placed in an egg tray with the large end of the egg up. Turned the eggs twice a day to keep the yolks from sticking to the inside of the shell. This can be accomplished by propping the tray on one side and alternating the tilt from side to side to effectively "turn" the eggs twice a day.

I rinse eggs all the time with no difference in hatch. I put them on a paper towle for a second and then in a plastic egg tray to dry. Remember, in the wild, in the spring, eggs get rained on all the time! Just don't scrub them and dry them.

A few years ago I did that test myself to see what happened. I took 2 trays of 48 eggs each, washed one tray and did nothing to the other tray. There was no difference in the hatch of the eggs. I did that off and on all thru that hatching season and the results were the same every time.

Steve

I have just been incubating eggs for a short time but decided to wash all mine, at least through the bad weather we have here in the winter and spring. It may be overkill, but what I am using to mist them with a couple times a week is a Vetericyn spray that I buy at the feed store I work at. It is mainly water, used as a healing aid, but I think that is will kill any bacteria that may be on the outside of the egg before it causes a problem. Any other folks out there considering this? It's not cheap but with 75 turkey eggs and a few hundred chicken eggs in the 'bators I figured it was worth it..

Back
Top Bottom