Washing eggs....yes or no?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bearcat73, Nov 19, 2008.

1. bearcat73

bearcat73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    I noticed that in a lot of the "first egg" pics, many of them were wet. I thought you weren't supposed to wash the eggs because it removes the waxy coating that protects it from bacteria? Is that an old wives tale?

2. If mine look clean i just put them incartons, but i have a few that will lay on the roost and then they need washing, so I use warm water and dawn detergent. but I still tell all my egg buyers to be sure to wash their eggs before using. marrie

3. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

Well, for a photo op of the first egg...you can wash them. Some folks do wash their eggs but the coating over the egg is true.
    From my understanding, if you are incubating, do not wash that egg, try to use only clean eggs. I have been told by an old timer that selling or hatching eggs you should use a fine sand paper, then you remove the poo that way you keep that coating over your egg.

4. leasmom

leasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2008
    Wash the egg to get rid of any feces or bacteria that may be on/in the chicks body, dry and coat with oil, rub the oil in and place in a clean carton. This technique will ensure that no one gets sick, the eggs are ready to use, the coating is replaced, and no feces-seen or unseen can be transplanted to the carton, your hands, your dishes, or food.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by