Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey all! Renee just called me from the road to let me know one of her eggs pipped!!!!!! She says thanks for all the support, she'll be getting updates from her DH this weekend and will keep me informed. Don't text her though....she asked not to
thumbsup.gif

Thanks Jessica for passing the word along. Thank you to everyone for helping us learn through this hatching process. What an emotional roller coaster!

Well, I'm proud to announce that Chicken Rustler's Salmon Faverolles "Fudge" is a Papa! We have FOUR energetic little chicks trying to establish a mini pecking order. 2 pipped last night. All 4 hatched today. I was not here to witness the hatching, and my husband saved the day for the last one to hatch. Two other chicks managed to push a broken shell over the last to hatch and the pipped and partially zipped egg was trapped. DH steamed up the bathroom, took the incubator in, removed the two energetic little chicks and their left-over egg shells that were trapping the last one to hatch, allowing "Chirpy" to finally get zipped out after 18 hours since s/he first pipped.

CR... do the descriptions below give you any idea of who the mothers may be?

EGG "A" - First to pip, first to hatch... the olive egg: black chick with 5 toes on each foot. No visible feathers on the legs yet. The kids named him/her "Blackie."

EGG "D" - Last to pip, second to hatch... the brown heavily speckled egg: dark mottled chick, white chest, white spot on top of his head, white wing tips, feathered legs, 4 toes. The kids named him/her "Fuzzy."

EGG "E" - Third to pip, third to hatch... white egg: yellow chick, 5 toes with lots of feathers on feet. The kids named him/her "Softie."

EGG "C" - Pipped at the same time as the first, last to hatch about 18 hours later. Needed to have extra eggshells that got pushed on top of his/her egg removed in an emergency extra eggshell procedure in a hot, steamy bathroom... brown, less-mottled egg: dark mottled chick, white chest, white spot on top of head, white wing tips, feathered legs, 4 toes, looks very similar to "Fuzzy" except has a much more distinct comb. The kids named him/her "Chirpie" because s/he is LOUD. Came out last and let the world know all about it.

After "Chirpie" is finished drying, it is going to be very difficult to distinguish him/her from "Fuzzy.

The remaining olive egg"B" is still in the incubator. We don't expect it to be viable because it never developed an air pocket.

Below... "Fuzzy" - 2nd to hatch must be missing his/her egg. Gonna make it difficult to eat out of that dish. "Softie," the yellow chick, sacked out under the heat lamp.

My kids named the chicks before I got home from Vancouver.
sad.png
I wanted one to be named "Chocolate Fudge" and another to be named "Vanilla Fudge". I'll have to see if I can convince the kids to rename them.

Question for the group:

So, Salma has her last dose of antibiotics in the morning. She seems fully recovered but for the missing feathers as well as a small white spot on her eyeball that may or may not be permanent, we have no idea. We are going to put her back with the flock tomorrow. My question is, when we put the mean hen in "chicken time out" to curb her aggression upon Salma's reintroduction, should we keep her inside or let her be in the carrier out in the yard during the day?
She can be outside during the day.

Quote: Sweet PDZ is a horse stall refresher perfectly safe for chickens. It has no odor, but does help keep things fresher, longer than sand. It's white and comes in powder or granules, very much resembling clumping cat litter. Reber Ranch has it, along with Coastal Farm in Auburn. Next time I might mix it with sand just to make it last longer, but I've been using the same bag on the poop shelf for months and there's still a ton. I don't think I'll need to change it out for years??
Quote: Yeah it was icky. I hope the chickens are liking their new clean coop! LOL
Quote: Wahoo!!!!! How exciting! I was hoping you'd call me and tell me how many hatched, but I knew you were busy
wink.png
How was the half marathon!? Oh...I want Blackie if it's a girl, and you don't keep her.
droolin.gif
Pretty sure that's an EE or Ameraucana crossed with a Salmon Fav!

Thanks Jessica for passing the word along. Thank you to everyone for helping us learn through this hatching process. What an emotional roller coaster!

Well, I'm proud to announce that Chicken Rustler's Salmon Faverolles "Fudge" is a Papa! We have FOUR energetic little chicks trying to establish a mini pecking order. 2 pipped last night. All 4 hatched today. I was not here to witness the hatching, and my husband saved the day for the last one to hatch. Two other chicks managed to push a broken shell over the last to hatch and the pipped and partially zipped egg was trapped. DH steamed up the bathroom, took the incubator in, removed the two energetic little chicks and their left-over egg shells that were trapping the last one to hatch, allowing "Chirpy" to finally get zipped out after 18 hours since s/he first pipped.

CR... do the descriptions below give you any idea of who the mothers may be?

EGG "A" - First to pip, first to hatch... the olive egg: black chick with 5 toes on each foot. No visible feathers on the legs yet. The kids named him/her "Blackie."

EGG "D" - Last to pip, second to hatch... the brown heavily speckled egg: dark mottled chick, white chest, white spot on top of his head, white wing tips, feathered legs, 4 toes. The kids named him/her "Fuzzy."

EGG "E" - Third to pip, third to hatch... white egg: yellow chick, 5 toes with lots of feathers on feet. The kids named him/her "Softie."

EGG "C" - Pipped at the same time as the first, last to hatch about 18 hours later. Needed to have extra eggshells that got pushed on top of his/her egg removed in an emergency extra eggshell procedure in a hot, steamy bathroom... brown, less-mottled egg: dark mottled chick, white chest, white spot on top of head, white wing tips, feathered legs, 4 toes, looks very similar to "Fuzzy" except has a much more distinct comb. The kids named him/her "Chirpie" because s/he is LOUD. Came out last and let the world know all about it.

After "Chirpie" is finished drying, it is going to be very difficult to distinguish him/her from "Fuzzy.

The remaining olive egg"B" is still in the incubator. We don't expect it to be viable because it never developed an air pocket.

Below... "Fuzzy" - 2nd to hatch must be missing his/her egg. Gonna make it difficult to eat out of that dish. "Softie," the yellow chick, sacked out under the heat lamp.

My kids named the chicks before I got home from Vancouver.
sad.png
I wanted one to be named "Chocolate Fudge" and another to be named "Vanilla Fudge". I'll have to see if I can convince the kids to rename them.
My daughter names the chickens something like Fireclaw and Brambleclaw, I name them names like Tilly and Rupert and then we argue forever about what their names are ( I usually win). You can try that. I love the coma chick sleeping on its head with its bottom in the dish. Classic!

Congrats Itsren! All that stress and you did get something for it.

CL, thanks for the pics of your coop poop boards. I was trying to explain how it worked to DH, but he really needed pictures to understand what I want.

Wahoo!!!!! How exciting! I was hoping you'd call me and tell me how many hatched, but I knew you were busy
wink.png
How was the half marathon!? Oh...I want Blackie if it's a girl, and you don't keep her.
droolin.gif
Pretty sure that's an EE or Ameraucana crossed with a Salmon Fav!

The half marathon was good. We had beautiful, dry weather. It was a gorgeous walk. I'm glad it's over. I'm really hurting. I haven't exercised or walked any sort of distance since last June - before the kids got out for summer. Last year we trained hard for six months prior to the 2011 half. Today it took us a ridiculous amount of time to finish - about 4 hours, but, I suppose that's what happens when you don't stay in shape. We were beginning to realize how far back in the pack we were when we saw trucks come and pick up mileage signs while we were still walking. I'm proud to say today I walked 13.1 miles to save the Ta-Ta's, but now I wonder what it's going to take to save the feet.

Sorry to say, but I'm sure DH won't be giving up any chick that was hatched today if it is a girl.
big_smile.png
Yay! He's their new chicken mama! He did a fantastic job, saved the day, and was videotaping his new babies' every movements when I walked in the door. My friend was totally teasing him about his chicken mama status when we got home. It was pretty funny.

My daughter names the chickens something like Fireclaw and Brambleclaw, I name them names like Tilly and Rupert and then we argue forever about what their names are ( I usually win). You can try that. I love the coma chick sleeping on its head with its bottom in the dish. Classic!

LOL!
thumbsup.gif

I hope I win. Don't you think "Vanilla Fudge" would be a cute name for the yellow chick? Especially since daddy's name is Fudge?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom