Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
frow.gif
Find someone like ME! lol But Im to far away to be your flock sitter.
roll.png

Quote:
Those roos are sooo nice! Initially I was not going to keep them, but they are so friendly now, They used to run from me, but since I have been keeping them in the hen pen, they have been picking up on their behavior and are super friendly now. They follow me around the yard and if I sit down out there, they come sit by me! The smaller one lost a few feathers protecting one of the lavenders from Shasta, my over-exuberant mutt who wanted to play fetch with her. (Shasta jumped on the gate and discovered Olivia had not latched it!). She caught the pullet, she did not bite or wound her, but she was covered in dog slobber
sickbyc.gif
Romulus came to her rescue, and Shasta dropped the pullet but got a mouthful of wing feathers from both the pullet and the cockeral. Serius has found a hen friend - Huckleberry, my Australorps. Olivia wanted to know why he keeps trying to stand on her, and why she no longer runs away, but follows him around! Both Serius and Romulus crow, always at the same time, but thankfully not often.

Duracell, the Barnue Roo crows a lot more often. He used to be very sweet, but now he rarely free ranges as the orpington roos and mt NH hen all beat him up. He has turned a little nasty and bit me yesterday, drawing blood and leaving a good bruise on the top of my hand! He lives in the tractor with his hens and Flop, the runt roo whom Olivia will not part with. Maybe if I put the others in their pen more often and let the Barnies roam, he may calm down some, or likely he is feeling his hormones. I know they are supposed to be a very gentle breed. Just 2 weeks ago, he was the sweetest of all my birds! Maybe he is jealous of the other roos.

Duracell:

72609_june_2011_082.jpg

Quote:
One Thousand Dollars for a pair of chickens? Geeze, they'd better lay the egg, poach it and bring me breakfast in bead for a grand!

Very nice looking birds.

Quote:
Looks nice. It is also very nice of you to add certain amenities such as the radio. May I ask what their favorite station is? Are they into modern or pop, maybe country or classical? I would not let them have a computer though as they would probably poop on the keys.
lau.gif

They prefer "Classic Rock" and I put a special cover on the key board so they don't get it dirty when they are pecking out messages.

I am amazed of all those pics the biggest comment is on the dang radio that I had for got to remove.

It is a very nice coop and it looks like you did a wonderful job, don't get me wrong. I am jealous that you have another coop....I need another. But you know there is just no way that any of us could leave it alone that you had set up an "entertainment center" for them.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Beautiful photos. Curious: Is your (btw beautiful) white cat deaf? Our vet clinic has a white cat with blue eyes and he is deaf.
Love the picture of the black orps. I have two black (10 wk old) orps 1 cockerel and 1 pullet. The green irridescent is really showing. They are going to be so pretty.

Quote:
hey, i texted you stranger! How is that bratty mottle boy doing??

Oh ya! sorry! he's still a brat. Getting enough chicks from him so took him out and put him in my big rabbit cage. Got tired of getting attacked. He would grab my pant leg with his beak and hang on, flap his wings and beat me with his legs. Sure hope his babes take after their moms. He sure is gorgeous though. Sent you a text.

Quote:
Not deaf, but mute! Well, she can make a real gutteral sound when she's mad and cussing you out! I read that most white cats with blue eyes are deaf. We had a grey Maine Coon whose mom was white (bo blue eyes) and she was deaf. The breeder did not intend to breed her, but papa cat got to her before she was fixed. She said she was the most attentive mother and had all beautiful kittens, Funny thing is her kittens grew into noisy, talkative cats! Maine Coons are supposed to be quiet. It was kind of funny how we discovered she was mute; they day after we brought her home, a friend came over with her son who was just starting to crawl around, He ahd Char were following each other, they seemed to be getting along well so we were not watching as carefully. When we next looked, Keenyn was lying partially on her and hugging her like a stuffed animal, and she was meowing away... well, her mouth was moving, but no sound came out!

Char is a shelter cat from Spokane. I don't know her breed, she is only half the size of my Maine Coons, but her fur makes her look huge! She is named Char after the vet who nursed her back to health. Apparently she was starving, filthy, matted and full of fleas. She had a litter of kittens that she would not/could not care for. After she wasready for adoption, a family in Woodinville had her for a year, but returned her full of fleas.

She is a very sweet cat, but I have discovered that all gorgeous adult cats from shelters have flaws, usually the same one. Won't use a litterbox to poop! Char will only use a litterbox if it is perfectly clean, not scooped, but fresh litter! I even bought her a litter robot, and she won't use it! She is also finicky for the type of litter. Each week it is a different preference. We have 4 boxes for her - one clumping sand, one Swheat Step, one Sawdust (her usual choice), and one white crystally things. If she is not satisfied with the choices, she will poop on the closest rug (at least she will pee in the box). Usually she stays outdoors and has a heated cat house in our breezeway.

My orps were hatched early February; they are such nice birds!

Well, the second-toughest part of the Rooster Tower for the Hamburg baby is done (the toughest, as always, is the door: the guy at the Tony's was right, walking through walls is the way too go). Anyway, I've got the hardware cloth cut and pinned to the ground, which means the frame structure- two flat trellises I bought months ago at Tuesday Morning for ten bucks each- are also in place. Next, I paint a glaring piece of old chrome drapery-rod dark bronze with paint I bought for another project and didn't have time to use and screw it on top of the trellises to make a ridge line. Unless I decide to wire it in place instead, of course. Then I need to beat feet to Fraddie's/Target/Tuesday Morning to find something among the garden metalwork I can use for a door because BUILDING another door this week is utterly out of the question. When it cools down I also need to cut a 4" piece of 2X2 for the main perch. Then I have to cut the 1" chickenwire and stitch it all together with a bunch of surplus split-rings that I don't like for jewelry making any more.

I've got this stuck in a blank place in my rose garden where a virused Great Maiden's Blush died years and years ago, and which is, at this point, mostly grass and the rampant, gorgeous blue Geranium praetens, which is the stuff that grows at the foot of stone walls and in farmyards all over the UK.

But right now it's too hot out there and I'm sitting down resting for another six minutes.

Last edited:
I am new to this site and find it extremely helpful.

I was raising Guinea fowl but got to the point I couldn't keep them confined to my yard. They were only 12 weeks old when I re-homed them and the lady just loves how I managed to get them so tame.

So right after that bunch of 7 left I ordered up some Turken babies. They are now 5 days old. I have had them for 3 days. They made their long journey in one piece with no deaths. Thank goodness for that. They are so cute with their little naked necks and fuzz ball heads. I think the freebie they sent is a Banty chick. It's fully feathered and black with brown around it's eyes...so it's nice to have a surprise baby.

I would love to hear from anyone who has Turkens.

Oh yes I live in a little place called Brady. It's inbetween Montesano and Elma WA. On your way to the ocean. I do have a fairly good sized lot, two thirds of an acre I believe so plenty of room for the Turkens but not Guineas. I did have fun with the Guineas tho. I'm glad to have experienced that adventure. If I get too many roosters in this batch of Turkens I will need to find homes for them so will keep you posted when they get old enough to really tell or not. So if any of you are interested let me know. I may be interested in trading a Turken rooster for a Silkie rooster. Just let me know.

Feel free to respond to my post any 'ole time. I will answer as many as I can. Will post pics soon. I plan to take pics as they develop. Not sure on the colors yet but looks to be mainly Buffs and a Black plus the little surprise chick too who is black.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom