Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Okay, problem solved for tonight. I took out one of the inside coop floor panels and put my 7 year old in there. He put the chicks on the roost. LOL But that's probably just a temporary fix.

Here's a solution for you and relatively easy. Enough rat wire to staple to the piece of wood resting on the ground, about 8 - 10 inches wide to go around the base of the coop. Rake away about 4 inches (width) of grass/ground cover. Take long garden/fence staples/sod staples (avail at hardware stores) that are about 4 inches long and peg the wire flush to the ground. Then recover the wire with your ground cover.
I did this with chicken wire to keep my two hounds in my yard (dachshunds love to dig). Diggers hit the wire and it stops them from further digging.
Hope this helps

what is a safe way to mark your chicks?

I use model paint. on my hens tails it last 2-3 months
thumbsup.gif

MikeyB - Thanks! I did something very similar with my big coop. I don't have any type of fence/cloth that I can put down until I can make a trip to the hardware store (which I don't suppose will happen tomorrow). I was just wondering if anyone had any crazy ideas for getting the chicks out of that corner. ;) I guess I could put them back in their brooder tomorrow, until I get the coop reinforced.

I have a little problem...

Today, I decided to move my 6 week old chicks to the mini coop. I put the heat lamp in it, facing the roost (and stairs). They seemed to be having a swell time in their new digs.

Problem: they are sleeping in a heap in the corner of the run (directly under coop), and I can't reach them to put them up on the roost. The run is hardware cloth, but there's no reinforcement about the bottom yet. So these babies are lit up and free to be a good snack for an enthusiastic digger. The side of the coop is too high for me to reach them (or be able to get out, if I climbed in). You can't reach their corner from the little door on the run (it's diagonal from where they are). I put some wood around that corner, but that just doesn't seem adequate. What would you do??

I would run one strand of electric wire along the bottom. 8-10 inches off the ground. alot of times you can find wire and the power pack (charger) on craigslist

MikeyB - Thanks! I did something very similar with my big coop. I don't have any type of fence/cloth that I can put down until I can make a trip to the hardware store (which I don't suppose will happen tomorrow). I was just wondering if anyone had any crazy ideas for getting the chicks out of that corner. ;) I guess I could put them back in their brooder tomorrow, until I get the coop reinforced.

long handle bug net works great.. :D

I'd been sitting down and cutting cage wire, so when I came out to put the Hamburg's second-favorite treat food (after red worms) in their run I sat in the open door to take photos. Elvis is still gorgeous, and gets shorted on treats because he'd rather show off than eat.

I'm getting about 18 eggs a week from the three hens in this pen; I really want to have another pen going, with at least four hens. Hamburgs have a reputation for being flighty and stand-offish, but I think it comes down to them needing more room and cover than some breeds.

Stump...
Your chickens are beautiful. Absolutely stunning.

Russ

I'd been sitting down and cutting cage wire, so when I came out to put the Hamburg's second-favorite treat food (after red worms) in their run I sat in the open door to take photos. Elvis is still gorgeous, and gets shorted on treats because he'd rather show off than eat.

I'm getting about 18 eggs a week from the three hens in this pen; I really want to have another pen going, with at least four hens. Hamburgs have a reputation for being flighty and stand-offish, but I think it comes down to them needing more room and cover than some breeds.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom