Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK question for y'all: How do you keep your patios and immediate backyard areas reasonably clean from poo? My DH is getting ticked off that "We can't use the backyard it's so gross!" **insert terribly whine here** I hose off the patio daily (or twice daily), I flick all the solid poops I can see into a little can with a spatula, I scoop all the poop out of the sandy run, and I scoop all the poop out of the coop poop shelf. I don't know what else to do. Is he just going to have to get over it? Do all chicken owners have chicken poop problems all over the yard? **sigh**

mine are in a run so I don't have that problem.

Who is ready for some cute pictures?!?!?

This was the first chick to hatch!

I love all the great colors I got.

Newly hatched chick behind her.

These are the ones that Momma Kristine hatched.

There is Momma Kristine in the back ground.

These ones are Momma Fancy's chicks.

There is only one more egg under Fancy that is trying to finnish hatching.

I am so excited to have different colored chicks as all the ones I hatched before from my old rooster and my mixed hens were all the same, no matter what hen they came from. Hope you guys like the pictures.
What type of hen is that? SLW?... she is very pretty?

Quote:
Do yours ever free range? Are they always in the run? How many s/f does each bird have in there? Just wondering if mine would try to kill each other if I left them in there almost full time. I know DH is ****** but the birds just seem SO much happier free ranging that I hate leaving them in the run longer than a couple hours in the morning. Plus, in this heat the run really gets hot, though a fan has somewhat remedied that the last couple days, for the newbies who have stayed in there. TIA.

Still have to add the gate but here is what I've been working on lately....

Wow, beautiful patio & fence! I'd hate to see what the chickens could do to that beautiful patio in minutes :lol:  I suppose that's what the hose is for!

:D That is my driveway..... The shot is looking from back yard to the driveway.
We are currently running a potted plant area in the driveway so the chickens won't slaughter the plants.

The fence is closing off the driveway in front of the garage from the front and allowing me to use the space for "backyard" space... as well as allowing me to work/rebuild the garage behind "closed doors" so no one can come snag my tools etc if I go inside to eat etc.... Bad thing about living on a busy through street in the city.... the tweaky freaks will walk off with your stuff even in daylight.

Lucky for me my neighborhood is rather close knit and watch out for each other.... and they don't take offense when my feathered bugs decide there are more snacks on the neighbors side of the fence. :rolleyes:

I also wanted a patio so now the garage will be rebuilt into a real basement room, (solid wall with people door etc) and the drive in front of the garage will be a patio for working and processing birds and BBQ's etc.... least until I get the yard patio, bread oven, BBQ, fireplace area rebuilt and done! :gig

Quote:
OK!

North End Meetup!
Panera's at Thrasher's Corner
6:30 on Wednesday, July 11 (two days from now!)
bun.gif
(cannot forget the dancing bunny!)
Dang I can't make it. That is the night of our summer BeeKeepers BBQ.

Hi Dawn! Ricky is getting HUGE. He's 3.3lbs and only 3 girls are bigger than him now, and one is the same exact weight.
thumbsup.gif
(I know, I'm crazy, but Renee weighed her chickens and I thought it would be fun to see how big mine are getting too, LOL)

Hi Jessica! =) That's so cute - I am glad he is starting to fill out!

OK question for y'all: How do you keep your patios and immediate backyard areas reasonably clean from poo? My DH is getting ticked off that "We can't use the backyard it's so gross!" **insert terribly whine here** I hose off the patio daily (or twice daily), I flick all the solid poops I can see into a little can with a spatula, I scoop all the poop out of the sandy run, and I scoop all the poop out of the coop poop shelf. I don't know what else to do. Is he just going to have to get over it? Do all chicken owners have chicken poop problems all over the yard? **sigh**

I pick up every single day - and I still get complaints from the hubby and kids. But they don't complain when they're eating the eggs!

Sectioning off a portion of the yard or keeping them confined to the run is the only way you're going to keep poop-free zones.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom