Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
barnie.gif
Oh my goodness that's atrocious! One of the worst things I've ever heard! So sorry that happened to you guys :( My neighbor even said "If he ever hurt your chickens we'd replace them all, don't worry" but that doesn't settle well with me. It just means she doesn't think of them as pet that might not be replaceable in our hearts. They're just chickens to her and pretty meaningless. I'm gonna look into the hardware to block the holes in my chain link that either Rainwolf or Imp told me about a few days ago. Our fence is 5' tall so I think we're pretty safe that way, but that skinny tiny mutt could slip through the gate if he really wanted to.
Most people have no idea how much it costs to raise a bird to maturity...and they never take in the fact that you cannot just go order a doz from Sears in December.
Saying "We'll replace them" is BS...where the heck do they think they will get "them" from ?????????????????
Despite the fact your birds may have been special ordered & hatched.................most people on the street just figure "hey ...it is a chicken...so we'll buy ya another one BFD"
But that is not the issue when your special ordered birds are killed....I ordered all mine by mail, hatched the eggs, raised them up, may have to order more hatching eggs....$$$$$$$
Anyways, I am off for another PB&J...G'night all !
frow.gif

Oh yes please do!! I will be waiting for it, we are in dire need of some new treats that we can all eat. I do have a feeling my kids react a little bit (no allergies, just intolerances) to many of the gums that are used to replace gluten.
I use fresh eggs & 2 tsp Xanthum gum in this recipe.

I think if you used more eggs it would work...but you'd have to work out the recipe to suit.

Last edited:
Night CL! Get some rest and stay off that knee! Squeek!

Just got the kids all asleep after a great productive fun day. Nothing out of the ordinary really, except we had more time than usual to play and have fun.

Spoke to the neighbors about their dog coming in our yard. They said he'd never hurt a fly, or the kids. I said it's instinct to chase a chicken and that's why I want the dog far far away from our yard, so there's no temptation to slip through the fence at the gate and kill them. They were surprisingly pleasant (I placated them with fresh eggs of all colors) and agreed to try harder to keep the dog more contained in their own yard. Woot!

Our neighbor told me their black lab, who had Rhodie in his mouth, would never hurt my birds. I had to explain that a black lab is a bird dog - bred to hunt. They didn't believe me.
hmm.png

barnie.gif
Oh my goodness that's atrocious! One of the worst things I've ever heard! So sorry that happened to you guys :( My neighbor even said "If he ever hurt your chickens we'd replace them all, don't worry" but that doesn't settle well with me. It just means she doesn't think of them as pet that might not be replaceable in our hearts. They're just chickens to her and pretty meaningless. I'm gonna look into the hardware to block the holes in my chain link that either Rainwolf or Imp told me about a few days ago. Our fence is 5' tall so I think we're pretty safe that way, but that skinny tiny mutt could slip through the gate if he really wanted to.

Interesting... that's exactly what I was told, too. I guess they didn't expect me to burst into tears at that comment. I think they learned in a few short moments that my birds are pets and very much loved. Why do people jump to that conclusion that chickens are dispensable animals?

Got a great recipe I will send ya tomorrow, has taken me years to make ...still perfect~~~~~~~

YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM !!!

I added a handful of oats, a handfull of sunflower seeds and a handfull of flaxseed..have to get my B's where ever I can.
Yummy.
No soy for me !!!!!!!!!!
Could I beg you to share with meeee too????

fl.gif

Man it is awful not having any internet. We're in the midst of moving so everything not mandatory has been turned off in preparation for switching over. We get the keys to our new house tomorrow though! I am so happy and excited! There is a ton of work to be done but hopefully we should have internet again by next week. It's been a while since I've been able to check here and read, and I come back to over 700 unread posts!!

There's no way I'll be able to read all of that while I sit here at Shari's eating my hamburger but maybe I'll be able to catch up soonish.

I have big plans for my backyard and it starts with building a new coop. ^^ I've been reading lots of books and trying to get prepared to welcome some baby chicks into my home sometime in the late winter-early spring.

I also have been reading up on this amazing book called "Mini Farming" and I think I'll be attempting to grow some veggies next year. ^^ Something to keep me busy since being unemployed is possible the most boring thing in the entire world.

Hope everyone in WA is doing well!

ME TOO !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
celebrate.gif

I wanna get my big crock pot out NOW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
droolin.gif
I got my beans soaking in the BIG crockpot now! Yum yum!

Had a pretty good dinner tonight because I still have a few cans of ranch beans, and I had frozen chicken patties (carmelized onion and spice - gluten free! - Costco!) I made myself a burger with a chicken patty, more carmelized walla wallas, my home-made BBQ sauce, lettuce, havarti, and ear of corn and a side of beans. Yum!

I hope I wasn't too bad on the calories. I had lost 17 pounds and have hit a plateau. I don't want to go up!

Today was a good day. Long day, but good day.

I attended my first MOPSnext meeting. It was nice to see MOPS friends again.

This evening we spent a few hours selling Cub Scout popcorn at a grocery store. Not my favorite thing to do, but it teaches the kids how to sell and handle money. So, it's a good thing. My son wanted to leave early, and I told him we would go as soon as he made one more sale. Poor kid... I think it took 45 minutes to get that next sale. His patience was running thin. I kept reminding him that he needed to work hard to achieve a goal. In the back of my mind I was wondering if he was ever going to get that sale, and boy, oh, boy was I grateful when he finally did.

Today is day 2 that I forgot to turn coop lights on. Ooops! Tomorrow I'm going to see if I can string up some rope lighting inside the coop. I need to do something to get it on a timer. Getting this done is certainly not a priority to DH, so I'm going to just have to figure it out myself.

The incubator is still going. So far so good. It's kind of funny - I look at those eggs and can't wrap my brain around the slightest possibility that something might actually hatch out of them. It seems surreal.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom