Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has lots of trees that we could string fising line from across most of the run area.
big_smile.png
That will work gal pal !!!!!!!!!!!!
I go tree to tree and post to post...it looks like a penitenciary here !!!!!!!!!!

\
yeah in this pic we were just getting water in.................

This is the baby run,,,

I did not make this up, Greg Richardson did,,,,,and he is correct in that IT WORKS !!!!!

NO DIG>>>>>>>>>>> NO CLIMB>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Needless to say~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ last January killed us....
ALL the nets above runs collected so much snow, they collasped despite us going out all night & knocking off snow, but we had the ice storm...and it collapsed all my runs, and CR's runs...it was so heavy it bent T posts over..................it hurt Red Rooster Farms too,,,,,,,
see the nets bent with heavy snow ?

Holy cow................all the nets were SO HEAVY that they pulled the posts over.......................

Look to the left to see the coops/runs

COLD !!!!!!!!!

SEE the runs covered by netting ????????
It collapsed, and pulled the posts right over with it~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is a good shot of snow...and the roof of 1 coop....and netting over the run, see how the netting collects snow ?
It was especially bad after the ice storm last year, as all the snow stuck to the net...usually it would slide off, but not with the ice attached, it was so , so sos sooooooooooooooooo heavy !!!!!!!!!!!

CR may have more pics, as his coop runs collapsed as well, and alot od us had no power for a long, long time.

Just saw something interesting - I've been an admirer of some of Seattle's Saltbox Design coops for some time and I see that they're making them for Williams Sonoma now! Williams Sonoma has an entire chicken keeping product line. Of course, if I thought those pretty Saltbox Design coops were out of my range before, with a Williams Sonoma mark up they're way out...

http://www.williams-sonoma.com/shop...s/?cm_sp=SupCatHero-_-Agrarian-_-ChickenCoops

Well, another friend just suggested we simply pour our own pee all around the coop and said that might work. A teensy bit off-putting, but hey, it's not nearly as stinky as used cat litter!
lau.gif

One of my BF's roommates just texted and said she's seen TWO squirrels with my little Leghorn eggs in their mouths. That would explain the eight-day lapse in between the first two and the third...
hit.gif

Three words

pellet gun

Well, another friend just suggested we simply pour our own pee all around the coop and said that might work. A teensy bit off-putting, but hey, it's not nearly as stinky as used cat litter!
lau.gif

I'd be happy to drop by and uhh .. help? LOL

Quote: Yeah, we really need to be careful about how we respind to anyone because we don't always know their situation. I have stuck my foot in my mouth many times and I always regret it.
sad.png

I didn't respond to the person in a rude manner. I just said they needed to switch to a layer feed that covered enough protein and calcium, and told her that the "crown" was called a comb. That's it. But I'm baffled that someone would only feed their chickens scratch, which she said she did do for a long time. I wasn't rude, only helpful to him/her. But yeah...I hope she changes what she's doing for her birds' sake.
Quote: That's amazing! I wonder if people just pass on "whatever worked" to their family members? I've never been around chickens before I got them myself, so of course I read every chicken book under the sun and got the correct info on their nutrition, housing, etc.

Three words

pellet gun

I'd be happy to drop by and uhh .. help? LOL

Killing them would just make room for more. We have a rampant rodent problem in Seattle. There's no getting rid of them. I'm definitely going to try repellant solutions before I do anything drastic. Hopefully my Exchequer eggs will get big enough soon that this won't be a long-term problem, but I'm not confident about that.

Well, I was bad in multiple ways tonight. I opened the incubator to pull the BLRW chick out. It's been over 48 hours since it pipped and it was starting to bite at everything in the incubator. And it was going to be all alone... so I went to the feed store and picked up some gold laced Wyandottes. I meant to buy 2, but somehow 4 ended up in the box. Not sure how that happened??? The little BLRW is holding its own with the week-old chicks. It has a gimpy leg (holds it out to the side a bit) but when the other chicks nip at it, he nips right back.

While the lid was open (I had my husband lift it and then put it back on quickly, so I had my hands free) I pulled out the silkie egg that had pipped first. That chick had opened a decent sized hole and stuck its beak out yesterday. It had made some noises, but it was making less and less and breathing slower, so I thought that so long as the lid was off, I'd reach both hands in and get it out.
hide.gif
I opened up the egg, and was surprised. It actually had plenty of fluid in the egg and wasn't stuck to the membrane at all. But it looks like the belly didn't close completely at the umbilical cord? There was a lot of tissue coming out and a large white circle on the belly instead of black skin. I'm guessing something went really wrong in development? Hopefully the other silkie eggs, which were in the same part of the incubator, aren't as bad off.

There are 3 other BLRW eggs pipping, and one looks like it's actually zipping open! I know I'll get yelled at for opening the lid, but I felt like I was going to have to do it soon to get the hatched chick out before it became weak. Now that the chick is out, I've got no problem leaving the incubator alone for 2-3 more days. But at this rate, I may have a flock made up of just Wyandottes.

Jennifer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom