Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote: I will post pics when it is primered in pink, just for you CR.
tongue2.gif

Luna's loss has been much harder for me than all the others I have lost to dogs and other predators over the years. My chickens roam on over an acre of land and I can accept an occasional loss, but I expect it to be the less friendly chickens that spend more time in the woods or in the orchard. I never thought such a gruesome attack would happen in daylight right between the 2 coops and very near the house. The chickens that hang out near the coop are all very friendly, but Luna was the best. She was a big, fluffy lap-chicken who never wandered more than 15 feet from the coop unless she was following me.

Now that the neighbors have all gotten electric fences for their dogs after several raids on my property, the wild predator attacks are increasing - no dogs to scare the raccoons out of the greenbelts surrounding my property. I have lost 3 hens to non-dog predators since July, and only 1 in the prior 3 years. Before the electric fences went up, I lost at least 5 hens to dogs in 2.5 years.

Hi all!

I have not visited in a while, and now I'm 200 posts behind.

I have been busy studying for my Enrolled Agent Tax exams with the IRS, and this morning I passed the second test (I did the first one 13 days ago) - one to go!

I was feeling all happy about passing the exam (in Puyallup at 7:30 am), came home and saw a horrific scene in my backyard that took away any good feeling I had.

The kids were playing video games and had let the chickens out, but ignored the dogs who were stil in their crates. I yelled at the kids, followed the dogs out to check on all the waterers and feeders and I saw Luna, the white sussex lying in the yard near the coop where she likes to hang out, neck twisted and rolled partway under her, and much of her neck and shoulders and part of a wing eaten away with bones sticking out, and she was still breathing!!! I yelled for my husband who came out and finished her off. Then I yelled at my kids for letting the chickens out without their guard dogs. I'm thinking it was a raccoon. A few weeks ago I found another hen in the same area, injured in the same spot. That injury was minor in comparison. I think I had scared off whatever the predator was there when the attack started, but the hen must have died of a hear attack. Poor Luna was still alive and it is awful to think of what the poor girl must have endured. She was such a sweet hen. I still have 10 roosters, but my supply of hens is going down.
Nice to see ya back. Sorry to hear about Luna.

Bad thing about underground electric fencing. It may keep the dogs in the yard but, it doesn't keep coyotes etc, from coming in and taking the dogs out.

Hi CR!
Good to chat with you again! You sure have lots of sparkly bits on your avatar. Thanks for sending me e-mail. I knew if I'd log on here to see what was going on, I'd spend half my day reading posts!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom