Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Hi everyone. I am sorry but I just cannot keep up with you all. LOL Amazingly fast thread. I will try to catch up but I am already 12 pages behind and it just keeps growing. My eyes are giving me fits trying to read so much so I am afraid I will just have to pace myself. Using this bigger print does help and so I hope it doesn't bother anyone else.

Anyway, hoping someone here will have some knowledge to us out.

We are figuring a way to keep Betsy Barr Rock warm in her tractor coop as the nights are getting colder. As some of you know she is flying solo now since her coop mate, Gemini, was killed by a raccoon a few weeks back.

I know it isn't the best situation to only have one chicken but she seems to be coping better now. So having said that I am hopeful I can get her through the winter. I will be getting BA chicks this spring.

My DH found a unique (to us anyway) light bulb for reptiles that we think may be just the ticket. When DH made the chicken tractor he wired in a light socket that we can run a heavy outdoor extension cord from the garage to energize it. Also has a dimmer switch so we can regulate it. Wondering if a lightbulb like used for reptiles would work for a chicken???

Here is the info: Is there any reason this would not be good for a chicken too? Thanks so much for your input. ~Dee~

75 WATT A19 BLACKLIGHT PET LAMP OPERATES IN STANDARD HOUSEHOLD FIXTURES AND PET HABITATS - Bulborama pet light bulbs keep pets feeling healthy in their natural cozy habitat. Supra Life Blacklight Pet Lamps provide a mild source of heat for reptiles and last up to 4 times longer than standard lamps. With high UVB output, Blacklight pet light bulbs improve color and health of reptiles, last up to 10,000 hours, and simulate a nighttime moonlight environment.

http://www.bulborama.com/75-WATT-A1...EPTILE-LIGHT-BULB-p841.html?AdID=1396--P80903
Sorry I don'r remember where you are but IMHO if on the wet side Ireally wouldn't worry about heat unless it gets VERY cold. most important is to make sure she has a draft free home.

No problem. Yes, you are right about West coast. We are concerned without a buddy on the roost with her she might not stay as toasty as she is normally use to. Not sure about drafts? The coop has a vent on top and a bit of air can probably come from very small crack around the door & nest lid? Here is a pic so you know what I mean. The window in the door is plexi-glass. It looks like a hole in it but that is just the reflection from the gray/green side of the garage with the garage window corner showing ( white trim). The coop is insulated with styro-foam & covered with paneling. I thought a good rule of thumb would be to keep Betsy's coop above 32 degrees. I don't want her comb getting frost bit. Nights have gotten to be 40 degrees at times so we are preparing for colder nights. We want to keep her healthy and happy. Thought this black reptile light would be more natural so she could sleep well. But want to make sure there are no reasons it would not be good for hens. Thanks so much for your help. ~Dee~

I've read in other forums that people use reptile bulbs and heaters with chickens. I cannot see anything about that bulb that would be a problem for chickens. 75 watts won't give off lots of heat, but your coop/tractor looks small enough that it shouldn't be a problem.

Russ- btw it is a beautiful tractor.
Excellent! DH was re-thinking to purchase a 100 watt black reptile bulb to make sure it produced enough heat. Since he has a dimmer switch he can use it to regulate according to the thermostat reading. Yes, it is small. Holds 3-4 hens around 6-7 lbs. each. Had a 8.5 lb. rooster in it once and we thought he was cramped on the roost due to head room. Thanks so much. ~Dee~

New coop project, phase 1!
woot.gif

My ex-BF stashed away these four large and two small pallets for us today from the shipping/receiving department where he works.
thumbsup.gif
My BF was able to carry and fit all of them into his station wagon
love.gif
, and we are going to pick up four more large and one more small tomorrow, supposedly in even better condition than the ones we got today! Then we'll design it on the camping trip next week (weather and finances permitting
fl.gif
), and get to work ASAP!
yippiechickie.gif

Does anyone have any words of wisdom for first-time coop DIYers?!?
hu.gif

Make it classy. It's easy to scrounge free materials, but tough to make them into something to 'write home about'. And if you're planning to be in your space for a few years, plan for permanency. Insulate, even if you think global warming is here. Design for old age and infirmity. When you're down with the flu or have pulled muscles from hiking you'll want an easy care coop. And check out DMRippy's pallet pen designs.

I love your sig line. I'm an old Seattle native moved to Bellingham. Life in the country is SO worth it.

Quote: I would say, make sure everything is easy to get to and you don't have to bend over to clean or get at feeders and waterers. My original run is only 4 feet high. I hate going in there! But the rest is high enough for me to stand up, and my coop is ok, I can get into it but I can't stand up straight in there either. But it has a large clean out door on one end which works well! Just think long term acess and like seventrees says, take into account that you might not be able to take care of them due to circumstances beyond your control. I have a large run so that on those days that I can't let them out, they have enough room to scratch, and I throw alfalfa hay in there for them to pick through. Just things I have learned over time. (and in my old age) Lol! Good luck and have fun with it!

What you shared makes perfect sense. Yes, we have very damp winters here and at times the wind is treacherous. Thankful our snowfall is rare. Black ice is more of a problem. Do have a thermometer inside coop. Had not thought of a hygrometer. Good idea! Thanks so much. ~Dee~
I do have a thermometer/hygrometer in the coop. Right now it is 46 degrees and 31% humidity in there. Outside, it is 39 degrees and 47% humidity. We are headed to a low of 32 tonight but my chickens will be fine.

Trying to catch up here but have to stop & say:
We had an annoying beep from a text sent at 4:30 A.M. this morning...followed quickly by another & another so figured it was an emergency.
So DH got up & checked his phone.........
And DiL water broke, and she was on her way to the hospital, and an hour later she had a 7#10 oz baby boy !!!!!!!!!!
Still have not heard the name yet ! this is 8 grandkids, and my daughter has 1 in the oven at 4 mo along........
th.gif
CONGRATS Dear lady.. new babies are so much fun!!! I have 5 new nephews and neices all born in the 5 months time... They are so adorable!!!
love.gif

Hurray, the coop is now painted barn red. Looks pretty cool and once the trim is one it will hopefully be a beaut.
Im a little jealous...
big_smile.png
Your coop looks fantastic :)

Hi everyone. I am sorry but I just cannot keep up with you all. LOL Amazingly fast thread. I will try to catch up but I am already 12 pages behind and it just keeps growing. My eyes are giving me fits trying to read so much so I am afraid I will just have to pace myself. Using this bigger print does help and so I hope it doesn't bother anyone else.

Anyway, hoping someone here will have some knowledge to us out.

We are figuring a way to keep Betsy Barr Rock warm in her tractor coop as the nights are getting colder. As some of you know she is flying solo now since her coop mate, Gemini, was killed by a raccoon a few weeks back.

I know it isn't the best situation to only have one chicken but she seems to be coping better now. So having said that I am hopeful I can get her through the winter. I will be getting BA chicks this spring.

My DH found a unique (to us anyway) light bulb for reptiles that we think may be just the ticket. When DH made the chicken tractor he wired in a light socket that we can run a heavy outdoor extension cord from the garage to energize it. Also has a dimmer switch so we can regulate it. Wondering if a lightbulb like used for reptiles would work for a chicken???

Here is the info: Is there any reason this would not be good for a chicken too? Thanks so much for your input. ~Dee~

75 WATT A19 BLACKLIGHT PET LAMP OPERATES IN STANDARD HOUSEHOLD FIXTURES AND PET HABITATS - Bulborama pet light bulbs keep pets feeling healthy in their natural cozy habitat. Supra Life Blacklight Pet Lamps provide a mild source of heat for reptiles and last up to 4 times longer than standard lamps. With high UVB output, Blacklight pet light bulbs improve color and health of reptiles, last up to 10,000 hours, and simulate a nighttime moonlight environment.

http://www.bulborama.com/75-WATT-A1...EPTILE-LIGHT-BULB-p841.html?AdID=1396--P80903
I have not needed to warm my big insulated coop, but in my Eglu's, I use heated pet beds in the nesting boxes. They are weight activated, and only 15W or so. I put shavings on them so they don't get all poopy. On really chilly nights (teens and lower) they all huddle together in the nest boxes instead of on the roosting bars. It keeps their feetsies toasty! I purchased radiant wall heaters for the big coop, but have not used them. I also have them hagning above the dog beds in my garden shed. Willow, my solar-powered mutt loves sleeping in her bed when her heater is on. Shasta is always warm, and will nap somewhere else, usually out in the yard or in the cold dog house if it is rainy. We keep the dogs in the house with us at night, but when my hens are out, my dogs are either out with them if I am nearby or in their enclosed yard and garden shed.

Another thing I have which works well if you can't get electricity to your coop is gel-filled disks which I pop in the microwave. Pop them in their fuzzy covers and then cover with a bit of shavings and stick them in a nest box. They hold their heat for 8-10 hours. Usually the birds are on their roosts, but really cold nights they will snuggle up in the nest boxes.

Quote:
Next week sometime - mid week. Give me some time to recover from the half marathon. And, yes, I'm gone this weekend. I asked hubby what he was going to do if they hatched before I left and he said "Take care of them". LOL! He wasn't around when the other three were new - he has no idea what he's in for.
gig.gif

Meh, I didn't really think mine were a lot of work at all. I checked their feed and water twice a day. They never knocked them over or ran out so I considered them easy. Even when they got bigger, I just tried to think ahead and make sure they weren't going to outgrow whatever we were doing currently. I continually raised their food and water so they wouldn't get inside them or knock them over. I changed out shavings every few days, or those first couple days just rolled up the paper towels full-o-crap once a day and rolled out fresh new paper towels once a day. I'm so excited for pics though. Are you sleeping next to the bators? I would!!
lau.gif

Quote: Brrrrrr. I dread the 32 degree nights. I am impressed you went outdoors at night to check it out. You see I am too nervous to go out at night because we have a roving cougar. My neighbor called last night to let us know she heard it between our place and their place on our side. She was letting her dog out for the last call when it uncommonly ran back to her and wanted in. Then she heard the cougar and knew why. We go through this cougar business several times a year. It always comes on our property where the deer trail goes through looking for a score. Unfortunately for one neighbor it took one of their little dogs when they had them go out for last call. Anyway, I do not have the nerve to go outdoors at night now to take thermometer readings. LOL
wink.png

So we got home from the store just after dark. DH likes to shine his light out in the field looking for deer while I get the gate open. Their were a lot of eyes tonight and he said "the shadows look big". So he turned the truck left and shown the headlights out over the field. 10-12 Elk out there. The lights made them decide to move on to the back of the property. Which was just fine with me, they were about 15 feet from the silkie pen where I had to go check on birds and pick up food.

Hi everyone.. I just skimmed the last few days post.. I'm glad to see the injured birds are doing better.
ya.gif
Everyone seems busy getting ready for the wet and cold coming our way.. We just finished the new fence on the back property line.... and have 6 of the 10 apple trees picked.. so I'm a busy bee making applesauce and apple butter.

I'm a little bummed/worried because we did not get to build our new coop and remodel chicken area as planned. Hubby's work load was changed ( he is moving up in company:) So he couldn't take his 2 weeks planned vacation... instead he took 2 days.. Those 2 days were following my Grandfathers death last Sunday. So now I'm scrambling trying to figure out winter housing for 30 hens.. My current coop is only suitable for half that many... I told the hubby we should 'nt put it off LOL Should of done when i planned this summer instead of going to the Dunes.. but what do I know I'm "Just the Wife" LOL Oh well it will be OK.... I'm not gonna be too grumpy with him because I have room to complain that he is working steady in this economy. That's a blessing. The new girls just may have to live in a cow stall in the barn this winter and I may just have to build a new run.. That I can do on my own :)

I am gonna be busy helping my Mom put together services and a gathering for 200 to 300 people for a memorial for my Grandfather on October 27Th. We are in need of some large outdoor tent type structures for outdoor covers on that day.. Anyone have any they would like to rent out???

So now for something I think is really Odd....... I have a wild female pheasant trying to live with chickens...... I had seen some odd feathers about 5 days ago. Yesterday i was working in the garden area and noticed a "funny looking chicken" out with my hens... I realized that it was a pheasant. I shooed it off but she only went a little ways off and in the evening she was nested down in some blackberry bushes next to my pens.. The next few days she just was wandering around with my hens as they were free ranging. This morning she was in a tree above my coop. Then tonite she was actually in the coop with the Rooster and hens... I had kept the hens in their Kennel today hoping she would leave. Because she is getting tamer and tamer around us. So I got her out and then went around and reinforced the top of the pens to keep her out... When I last checked to nite she had dug a little hole right ext to the coop pen and was huddled up next to the wire. I'm only worried about it all because I have heard that wild birds can carry disease that my chickens may not be immune too. Any Insight????

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom