Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
HELP! Did I mess up big time?

OK... incubator just moved to 1 day left. Still no movement since lockdown. They were moving all over the place prior to lockdown at day 17. Shortly after lockdown all movement stopped. No pips. Nothing.

I put 9 layers of paper towel down on the floor of the incubator for it to be comfortable for the chicks easier to stand up when the chicks hatched. Did I mess up my humidity? I have a Brinsea ECO and a Brinsea Advanced.

DH thinks we should run the shower in the bathroom, get it warm and steamy, take the incubators in there and get all but 1 layer of paper towel out ASAP. Should we? He's in the bathroom right now running the shower... please respond quickly.

Last edited:
When we got home at about 8pm, it was all poltergeist. There was a big shape moving from the house across the drive and over the fence. I swung around and shone the truck lights over the field on the other side. I counted 11 bodies and I think there were more.

Made me afraid to go check the chickens since they were about 20 feet at most from the silkie pen. Made DH come out with the gun and cover me. I'm paranoid after the buck came after me last year.

They were to far from the house for my camera to get body pictures. I got this one though. Just click to enlarge it and see those scary eyes watching, watching, watching...

Wow!! That's a crazy, creepy but awesome pic!! That would've given me chills for days!!

HELP! Did I mess up big time?

OK... incubator just moved to 1 day left. Still no movement since lockdown. They were moving all over the place prior to lockdown at day 17. Shortly after lockdown all movement stopped. No pips. Nothing.

I put 9 layers of paper towel down on the floor of the incubator for it to be comfortable for the chicks easier to stand up when the chicks hatched. Did I mess up my humidity? I have a Brinsea ECO and a Brinsea Advanced.

DH thinks we should run the shower in the bathroom, get it warm and steamy, take the incubators in there and get all but 1 layer of paper towel out ASAP. Should we? He's in the bathroom right now running the shower... please respond quickly.

Does the unit display a humidity level?

Have any of the eggs pipped yet?

I only have one season of hatching experience - but from what I understand they cant get shrink wrapped until they pip.

I'm sorry that this hatching has been so stressful on you guys
hugs.gif

Quote:
No pipping. And no humidity readouts.

Bathroom is really warm and very steamy. I think I'll do it.
Just be careful....you can have too much humidity and they can drown. Watch them carefully, and if they start to pip and zip, I would take the incubator out of the bathroom then.
Good luck!

OK. We did one - the one that had the white egg (easy to candle) and the olive egg that we don't think developed to begin with. I'm not going to do the other. The bottom layers of paper towel were soaking wet. We took the top layers out and replaced with just one layer of paper towel. We candled the white one. No movement. The one we messed with is plugged back in. Humidity that was collected around the walls dropped down dramatically.

I think my using so many layers of paper towel drowned them. I was just trying to give them a soft place to hatch.

I'll just leave the bators running for a couple of days and try to come to terms that I probably drowned all of them.
hit.gif

Quote:
No pipping. And no humidity readouts.

Bathroom is really warm and very steamy. I think I'll do it.
Just be careful....you can have too much humidity and they can drown. Watch them carefully, and if they start to pip and zip, I would take the incubator out of the bathroom then.
Good luck!

What do I do with the 2nd one? DH thinks we need to get the paper towels out of the 2nd one fast. Do we? Or do I just leave it and see what happens?

I just can't stop crying... I feel terrible I screwed up so bad! I was just trying to give them a comfy incubator.

I was going to go to Salem. Sunday I started not feeling well. Got worse on Monday and Tuesday. I got a little better on Wednesday, but no real improvement. I went to the Dr today. Diverticulitis - hopefully antibiotics will clear it up and I can avoid surgery.

He said if necessary the surgery is minor - I explained to him that my definition of minor surgery is .... Surgery on SOMEONE ELSE !

Also was thinking. Mom has mostly mild diverticulitis. She started eat lots of peas to get more fiber without going to much. She cooks and eats a bowl for breakfast. It's helped her out a lot. A friend of mine in Ohio has it bad. They've wanted to do surgery on him for the last 10 years. He didn't do it because he didn't have the money. He held off to long. Couple months ago they found some colon cancer and had to remove a couple feet. Now they can't do the diverticulitis surgery or he'll end up wearing a colostomy bag. I really do hope yours clears up enough you don't need surgery.

Turns out DH had a hygrometer all along. The humidity in the bathroom was 90 and we did the one bator. I'm just going leave well enough alone with the 2nd bator. Whatever happens, happens. I think we're going to go out to eat tonight. I need to get out of here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom