Washingtonians

Status
Not open for further replies.
So my little piggie chicks have eaten through two tiny crocks of food. All day long they eat, drink, sleep, and poo. They're not even 2 days old yet, and they seem to be so much stronger than my hatchery girls were when I brought them home. Now that I know how much chicks really will eat and drink on the day they hatch, I feel bad for chicks that get mailed. Those little tikes must be absolutely starving by the time they arrive to their destination. I was of the misunderstanding that chicks didn't eat for the first 3 days because they had consumed their yolk in the shell - and that is why they mailed them at a day old.

I remember it took so long to teach my other girls how to eat. They didn't take to eating or drinking naturally like these 4 chicks did.

So my little piggie chicks have eaten through two tiny crocks of food. All day long they eat, drink, sleep, and poo. They're not even 2 days old yet, and they seem to be so much stronger than my hatchery girls were when I brought them home. Now that I know how much chicks really will eat and drink on the day they hatch, I feel bad for chicks that get mailed. Those little tikes must be absolutely starving by the time they arrive to their destination. I was of the misunderstanding that chicks didn't eat for the first 3 days because they had consumed their yolk in the shell - and that is why they mailed them at a day old.

I remember it took so long to teach my other girls how to eat. They didn't take to eating or drinking naturally like these 4 chicks did.
I do think they arrive starving. But they can go up to three days. But I am not sure I like that idea either. My first hatched silkies took a few days to learn to eat, my next batch of chicks took less time. I like hatching my own if I can do it. :) Great job on the hatch! Cute babies!

how much grit are they eating.

There is some great wheel barrels at Del's Feed I saw yesterday that have 2 front tires, so do not tip as easily as a 1 tire model.
When I got my 2-wheeled wheel-barrow, I had to learn how to drive the silly thing. But I like it a lot better than the 1-wheelers. I still use the 1-wheeler to get stuff down the narrow path to the chicken run.

Quote: Don't need grit if they are just eating chick starter. If treats are given then they should get chick grit.
big_smile.png

Also, looking for advice/recommendations. I need to buy a large-wheeled hand truck with a good-sized flat foot; I've got a small folding one, but the wheels are too small to navigate the shallow steps of my front walk. It also creaks alarmingly if the load exceeds 50 pounds. I've looked at HD and Harbor Freight and... the quality of the welds disturbs me.

Any wisdom to communicate?

I want something like this but with a bigger foot:
http://www.uline.com/Product/Detail...d-Truck-With-Extra-Large-Nose-Plate-Pneumatic

I have this and it is completely useless for moving *anything*:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/magna-cart-folding-hand-truck/prod7290002.ip?sprodId=prod7290002

and I have this:
http://www.samsclub.com/sams/super-...e-dual-purpose-hand-truck-blue/prod4400110.ip
It is nice, but I don't think it can really hold 900 lbs, not as a hand cart anyway.  Maybe as a flat bed. I use it at work for moving boxes around mostly.   I really want something at home with a big foot for moving rocks around the yard. 

That's the folding cart I have, too: it's not 100% useless (better than the stupid wheelbarrow, f'rinstance, which I can't get over the steps by myself without walking to the front and man-handling it up) but it's more useful for things you stack on the foot rather than sliding it under. It's most useful when you bungie chord/ratchet load binder whatever you're using to it, but even then the wheels are too small to use off pavement, and I am about 98% unpaved.

The second one is basically the same at HD and Harbor Freight, with hinky welds.

Last edited:
It is nice, but I don't think it can really hold 900 lbs, not as a hand cart anyway.  Maybe as a flat bed. I use it at work for moving boxes around mostly.   I really want something at home with a big foot for moving rocks around the yard. 

Maybe a tree ball cart would work for you.  Try this site:
http://rayssupplycompany.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=92

Not what I need for this purpose, alas (REALLY need a chisel- edged solid foot that will slide under loads) but now I want something else. Oh, deliver me from tool-headedness!

Stumpfarmer - are you planning to use it for outdoor work?

We use a wheel barrow for everything - but I tend to overload it with rocks and flattened a few good tires so DH got smart and replaced it with a solid wheel style.  I haven't ruined that tire... yet.

I have nothing BUT outdoors; the barn is currently barricaded behind blackberries and blocked behind stuff the men in my life stuck just inside the door and left to be dealt with later.

Later is yet to arrive.

I, too, have spent the extra $35 to replace a pneumatic tire with a solid one, but wheelbarrows do not work with the ways in which I've damaged my hands and arms and shoulders (complete hyperextension: if we meet in person some day ask for the dramatic reading, it works better with gestures) and also there's that extra "lifting" step I'm trying to avoid.

Contemplate my label: sixty years of farming while clumsy.

Last edited:
There is some great wheel barrels at Del's Feed I saw yesterday that have 2 front tires, so do not tip as easily as a 1 tire model.

Didn't get the price though................

Look like this one:

http://toolmonger.com/2007/06/27/hot-or-not-two-wheel-wheelbarrows/

Yeah, I looked at those Saturday. Still wheelbarrows, though, and out for that reason. They had carts on sale in September but those were sold out before we could get past the monitary hump of replacing the refrigerator.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom