Wasn't Merricks was worms!

Cuccismith

Chirping
5 Years
Mar 30, 2014
South Jersey
I posted about my broody girl becoming so weak and no longer able to walk...
thought is was merricks, but had her stool tested and found roundworm and another type of egg...
That's what's sucking the life out of her! Being broody make her not strong enough to fight off or deal with worms. Many chickens can naturally deal with them unless under distress.
Tomorrow I'm off to get the wormer! And have ordered a more natural treatment online that will come in a few days to treat my whole little flock (7) without having to throw the eggs away!
I hope this helps someone else in a similar situation!

I posted about my broody girl becoming so weak and no longer able to walk...
thought is was merricks, but had her stool tested and found roundworm and another type of egg...
That's what's sucking the life out of her! Being broody make her not strong enough to fight off or deal with worms. Many chickens can naturally deal with them unless under distress.
Tomorrow I'm off to get the wormer! And have ordered a more natural treatment online that will come in a few days to treat my whole little flock (7) without having to throw the eggs away!
I hope this helps someone else in a similar situation.
Worms cause distress, that's why your broody is too weak to walk. You'll continue to have worm problems in your whole little flock of 7 unless you dose all of them with real wormers such as valbazen or safeguard.

X2. It's well worth it to discard eggs for a while in order to treat with something proven effective and to get worm loads under control. Small price to pay in my opinion. There are many "natural" products on the market that make an awful lot of unsubstantiated claims.

As far as chickens being able to "deal with" worms? Well, yeah, I guess they deal with them... until they just can't do it anymore. There's no such thing as being immune to worms. A few worms that don't bother the chicken can very quickly turn into a big worm load and then you start seeing poorly looking birds. Far better to control it before it gets to that point and the birds health is damaged.

Back
Top Bottom