Wasp!!! Ouch!!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by farrier!, Aug 9, 2009.

1. farrier!

farrier! Songster

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Was trying to move water tanks. Suddenly arm hurt really really bad....sure enough a wasp decided to not like me moving things and stung me. [​IMG]

I have iced it and taken a benadryl. Is there anything else I should do? I usually just leave bugs alone and they leave me alone. I think it has been 15 years, last time I had a bit of an systemic reaction.

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I went to the southeast corner of my coop last evening to water down a new ant hill (I'd finished up the last of the bug spray)... A wasp came at me out from under the eaves of the coop, but luckily I moved it away with the spray of water... there was also one of it's little mud hole nests in the oleanders behind me and I dispatched it with the hose also... those stings can be so painful!

My son was stung 3 years ago on a park bench in upstate NY... and did it ever swell up!! Ice and Benadryl is about the only thing that works.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  3. PeeperKeeper

PeeperKeeper Songster

Ammonia. Yep, it will break down the poison composition and help stop the reaction. Keep one of those "Stingstop" things you can buy at the local pharmacy always on hand.
    Yeah a wasp sting can feel just like someone wapped you with a steel rod....really hard [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 9, 2009
  4. farrier!

farrier! Songster

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Quote:Is that what is in them?
    I will get some.

5. RooptyDoo

RooptyDoo Songster

Oct 9, 2008
    Illinois
    Put a penny on the sting for 15 minutes. Somehow it counteracts with the sting. It works I have done this many times no swelling or hurting at all after you take it off.

6. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    slice a fresh potato to put on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: