wasting feed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hennyhandler, Sep 5, 2010.

1. Hennyhandler

Hennyhandler SilkieJax

Jun 10, 2009
    Cullman
    I have a a feeder where the food goes in the bucket type top and falls to pile into the container below just like all the others out there. I have this sitting on a cement block. The problem is there is still feed being dropped to the ground. SO I added a cement cap to it. It continued to happen and after awhile I added another cap. Now, I know that the feeder is supposed to be even with the chickens backs but feed is still being spilled.
    I had a plain square short container I was using berfore hand and I can't remember this much spillage besides the times the whole container would get tipped over which was one of the reasons I bought the bucket style one. The only thing is now with this bucket one is that it holds so much feed I don't have to fill it everyday so MAYBE it feels like I am going through more food than I actually am but that doesn't take away from the food on the ground all the time.
    I can't raise it any higher can I? You can just imagine how tall it is now. What do you think?

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I hang my feeders and don't have this problem. The one who spills feed is me, when filling them. The chickens then eat the spilled feed off the ground. Just my experience.

3. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    [​IMG]

something like this, it might look different but the idea is the same, first how wide is the bottem tray to where the upper part is, and how low is the tube(where the feed sits) in the tray. I have found out if the tray edge is high and the tube sits low they have a harder time spilling feed. i have a hen the will go to the lower edge of the tube and keep scooping till no more feed comes out, if she can't get to the edge it doesn't happen

4. Lotsapaints

Lotsapaints Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    Paso Robles, CA
    I went to using the PVC feeders just type that in the search bar and I have way less waste and don't have to fill my feeders very often I use a concrete block for the height using a 4 inch pipe so it's pretty close to their backs and my silkies hop up on it and eat no trouble at all way less mess I'm loving mine

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by