Watch Birds

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Lacey1988, Oct 2, 2013.

1. Lacey1988

Lacey1988 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Mississippi
    I have these two in a run right beside my chicken pen. I call them my watch birds, I figure they'll make more noise if an animal shows up during the night than chickens.
    I hope its a male and female. One makes the sound of a broken down printer, the other makes a loud two tone call.

[​IMG]

2. A roo or two

A roo or two Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2013
    Florida
    The two syllable sound is a female. Sounds like "buck wheat". Do you know how old they are? I read where someone had a guinea and it took eight months before she finally made the female sound. Mine are two months old and one already makes the female call.

3. Gingerlilypad

Gingerlilypad Out Of The Brooder

Jun 20, 2011
    Central Mississippi

First, hi Neighbor! The two-tones sound may mean a female. It sounds like Buckwheat or Potrack. The other sound both male and females make are a Chi-Chi sound. As for being watchdogs at night, they may help, but Guineas are blind at night and mine are generally quiet no matter what comes around. Now in the daytime, they are loud and noisy. And I do mean LOUD! All day long. When they sound a warning, every critter I have freezes in place or hides. Of course they sound a warning at everything, the mailman, a hawk, a bird at our bird feeder, a leaf blowing in the wind, a rain drop....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by