Watch out folks...he's back...

Rabbits must be culled in very large numbers to protect agricultural crops. Even a small colony can destroy enough crop which could have fed hundreds of families. A single night's hunting can yields dozens of rabbits per shooter.

I think it would be entirely unethical to shoot the rabbits for sport then leave them to rot. I therefore find it ethcial to eat rabbit to promote behavior which I condone. I think it's better this way, too, since a wild rabbit had a life before it reached the pot. Most your commercial rabbits are just babies clubbed on the head at a young age, having lived only in cages. So, I rejoice in the fact there may be some steel shot in the meat.

To be honest, when cooked in a pie, you could just be eating chicken or maybe even lamb. It has only a slightly 'gamey' flavor and the texture is long crumbling strings like chicken. It of course makes a far richer sauce than just a chicken would.

I don't go out of my way to eat weird things, but I think it's our responsobility to do so... far too many just 'cherry pick' their way through life eating only tenderloins and t-bones, not realizing how wasteful they are being becasue there is amazing food out there which might be 'icky' at first.

big_smile.png

What about Desert Jackrabbits or cottontails? Can you eat those? They ravage everything I try to plant and we have bazillions of them here. Boy would I like to make Rabbit Pie wht a few of them!

P.S. Why does every dish get compared to Chicken? "Have you had rattle snake? Oh it tastes just like chicken!"

Last edited:
The best thing would be to get a few Sighthounds
tongue.png

But of course, you can eat jack rabbit and cottontail. If you're not used to eating game, though, it may take some getting used to. Slow cooking and generous saucing is required while you get over the shock of eating anything unlike bland grocery store meats.

For rabbit pie? It's jsut like making a traditional steak pie, but with rabbit. All kinds of variations exist.... steak & ale, steak & mushroom, steak & kidney, etc.

As far as English cookery goes, get these. I prefer the UK versions, but you can probably get them very cheaply in the US now as paperback. They just 'translate' them a bit for the US audience so I think they lose some of the character.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/River-Cotta...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231266312&sr=8-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/River-Cotta...r_1_10?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1231266312&sr=8-10

I actual saw on TV where there is a country (something like Peru) that guinea pigs are what they eat. When I was young (much younger) my parents would tell me quail was just wild chicken so I would eat it.

Quote:
Poor Bugs and Peter
hit.gif

don't forget Peter's cousin, Benjamin. that's what they get for sneaking into Mr. McGregor's garden...sassy, sassy bunnies!

Not forgetting "jugged hare".......now there's a dish....!!

Back
Top Bottom