Watching the silkies... when will we know?

They are both starting to look like cockerels. But I’ll give them the benefit of the doubt and say they are still to young to say for sure.

Some people say you can tell by beak sometimes - pullet longer beak, cockerel shorter beak and a little more rounded so S1 pullet, S2 cockerel is a guess looking at the photo of them together. S2 looks like a slightly more raised comb too but they can develop at different rates though. But neither comb looks wide as a cockerels sometimes is, so more time will tell 😄

Update (8 weeks, 2 days):

The silkies are extremely camera shy, so I’ve just done the best I could here.

Specimen 1 is very tiny and round all over. No remarkabletail feathers, no feather irridescence. Poofy head, and what I guess is a beard. I’m just not getting a sense of boyishness here yet. I think S1 is going to keep me guessing til a crow comes out one end or an egg comes out the other.

5DC327DB-5979-4D8D-B55C-E9C225AE9F45.jpeg

394B2830-FBC9-4BE8-8070-C16717548229.jpeg

Now Specimen 2 is another story altogether. He’s at least a third bigger than #1, with bigger thicker legs. He already has a classic long swept back crest. His tail feathers are more distinct and blue/green iridescent. He will crow someday, I’m sure of it. This guy just says “I’m a cockerel.”
2106C32C-60FE-4905-90BB-DBF920B1D8AC.jpeg

D7B12C77-695F-430D-BBED-1F6AB81476AC.jpeg

Update (8 weeks, 2 days):

The silkies are extremely camera shy, so I’ve just done the best I could here.

Specimen 1 is very tiny and round all over. No remarkabletail feathers, no feather irridescence. Poofy head, and what I guess is a beard. I’m just not getting a sense of boyishness here yet. I think S1 is going to keep me guessing til a crow comes out one end or an egg comes out the other.

View attachment 2749534
View attachment 2749536

Now Specimen 2 is another story altogether. He’s at least a third bigger than #1, with bigger thicker legs. He already has a classic long swept back crest. His tail feathers are more distinct and blue/green iridescent. He will crow someday, I’m sure of it. This guy just says “I’m a cockerel.”
View attachment 2749543
View attachment 2749544
Looks like you have a pair at this stage anyway. 😊

Back
Top Bottom