Water and Feeder Placement

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by PamB, Jul 26, 2010.

1. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    We are planning on putting the water and food inside the coop and leaving the door open to the surrounding run for our chickens. Will they go into to coop for water when they are thirsty or do I need a second waterer & feeder in the run area??

Thanks!

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I've keep my water and food inside the coop. I used to have to keep water and food outside because my coop was small. But now, I've got a nice big coop, and everything is inside. I am so glad.......no more food getting wet and stinky! [​IMG] Now, my chickens do free range alot, and since summer has been so hot, I put a pan of water outside for them in a shady spot for them as well. But I dump that at night because I am NOT going to water some raccoon or a fox or whatever!

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    I keep dishpans of water out all over the place in the heat down here. I figure I'd rather water the predators outside somewhere that have them break into the run/coop for it! [​IMG]

Food stays in the coop with another waterer.

4. chickerdoodle

chickerdoodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2009
    Oregon
    I put food inside the coop (always available) with a 1 gallon waterer (so they eat ad drink easily) and a 3 gallon waterer outside for our 5 lovely 14 week old pullets. We do have a roofed run/hen-house that protects everything outdoors but I prefer to keep food in one place. They do use both waterers--but the one outdoors is used most as thats where they spend most if their time. Chickens only get a small amount of water each time they drink which is why they dip their beaks frequently all day. Of course it depends on the size of the coop. I still vote for indoors AND outdoors to be sure they get lots of water and stay healthy. [​IMG]

5. sunflowerenvy

sunflowerenvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    south/west tn
    i put an 1 gallon water inside and out. my chicken food are inside full will pullet food,
    in the run i throw out horse n scratch [treats] and put table treat in feeder out side in the run in the afternoon

6. PamB

PamB Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2010
    Dayville, CT
    Thanks for the responses! I think I will do an extra waterer outside in the run and one food & waterer in the coop.

:[​IMG]

7. The Tinman

The Tinman Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2010
    Fairfield County CT
    My girls free range so I have water and food in the coop and a few bowls of water where they like to hang out during the day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by