1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

water balloon egg!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by familyguy, May 20, 2011.

1. familyguy

familyguy Out Of The Brooder

Oct 27, 2009
    Went out to the coop today and found, among the other eggs, one that looked like a water balloon (even had a cord off one end!). I have seen these two or three times before, but they were always broken (or ripped) when I found them. This one is whole (if somewhat rubbery) and my question is .... is it still usable? Any reason I can't use it in recipes or something? I mean I can't hard cook it (!) but can I use it any other way I would use the 'normal' eggs? Thanks.

2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Lots of folks still use soft-shelled eggs. I don't use them, but that's because I am squeamish. As long as the membrane is intact it should be okay.

Good luck.

3. lauragutknecht

lauragutknecht Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2013
    Central Texas
    I always use these if they are not broken. I use them in baking, and have even cooked them up as scrambled eggs to eat. They still look like an ordinary egg once you cut the membrane holding it all together. If I want to save it for a day or two before using, I place it in a plastic sandwich bag in the fridge so the membrane won't dry out and crack.

4. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I'd cook it up and feed it back to the chickens, at least it's not wasting...I'm too squeamish to eat it as well!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by