Water belly? 1.5 Y/O Hen - Advice Please!

New update! I only add this info in case it helps someone else along the way, so I hope this is useful to someone.

I managed to get Ruby into my chicken vet this morning. She suspects that Ruby does NOT have yolk coelomitis/yolk peritonitis, but believes it to be fatty liver disease. Guessing it's hereditary in this case, as she is not at all overweight, has plenty of room, and gets fed a good diet. The vet could not feel any eggs inside of her. Her symptoms that line up with fatty liver disease: water belly, abnormal nail growth (her nails grow like crazy even though she's always scratching around), lethargy, and increased water consumption.

My vet said there has been recent research showing the amoxicillin prescribed to Ruby from MedVet isn't as helpful as once thought in chickens (but great for other animals). She said it might be helping some, but isn't necessarily the best med for a chicken. So I will be taking her off that I suppose. The vet says I can give her Doxy in some water. I've done some reading and it looks like flax seed and milk thistle may be helpful? My plan is to let Ruby do her thing. I'll do what I'm able to keep her healthy as long as possible. But when the time comes, when she starts to go downhill, I'll have to make a sad decision. Luckily, she is alert and perky, eating and drinking, so as for now, she is "okay."
What do you feed your birds on a daily basis?

Here is a photo of Ruby from last fall. :)

Attachments

• 080D4AD2-261E-4511-AEEF-D5A6CA8F69F5.jpeg
    080D4AD2-261E-4511-AEEF-D5A6CA8F69F5.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 4

Back
Top Bottom