Water Belly Drain Advice

bonandtam

Chirping
Jul 23, 2023
Hi, planning to attempt to drain my chicken with water belly this week and have some questions about the process.
Is there a time that is ‘too early’ to drain a chicken? I know to not drain more than 30mL every 2-3months each drainage, but her water belly is not too the point where is causing her lethargy, and is still quite small compared to the chickens i’ve seen online getting drained, or perhaps i’ve just luckily caught it early. She is still going on about her days perfectly fine, but i have caught her with some laboured breathing so it definitely is big enough to discomfort her breathing, or perhaps i’m wrong if someone can correct me. This is my first time with dealing with water belly. Her water belly is big enough for me to drain it, but just a question! Additionally,
How should i care for her after each drainage? just wondering after each puncture and expecting blood that the area should be kept in a cleaner environment, or is she okay to go about her day?

Last edited:
her water belly is not too the point where is causing her lethargy, and is still quite small compared to the chickens i’ve seen online getting drained
👇☝️These don't add up to me. The belly IS big enough to drain, but it's not to the point of causing too much distress or discomfort.
The only reason I would drain a hen's abdomen is if she's having clear signs of decline, is lethargic, having a lot of problems breathing, is not eating/drinking.

Your hen is going about her day perfectly fine, so I'm not sure why she needs draining at this time or am I reading your post wrong?
Her water belly is big enough for me to drain it
She is still going on about her days perfectly fine, but i have caught her with some laboured breathing so it definitely is big enough to discomfort her breathing, or perhaps i’m wrong if someone can correct me.

👇☝️These don't add up to me. The belly IS big enough to drain, but it's not to the point of causing too much distress or discomfort.
The only reason I would drain a hen's abdomen is if she's having clear signs of decline, is lethargic, having a lot of problems breathing, is not eating/drinking.

Your hen is going about her day perfectly fine, so I'm not sure why she needs draining at this time or am I reading your post wrong?
Haha sorry for the confusion, i would explain it a bit more clearly as, her belly isn’t hugeee, but a stage where seems it would be reasonable to drain it, and she isn’t lethargic at the moment. Because i just discovered the water belly developing bigger, so essentially i’m asking is it necessary to drain the water belly at this stage? Or would i rather be doing it when she is in clear discomfort/lethargic? So i’m asking if there’s a ‘too early’ thing with this and it’s unnecessary. It’s just her moments of laboured breathing that got me worried. I shall postpone the draining if that’s the answer! Hope this cleared it up?

Last edited:
It's always up to the keeper to determine what course of action they want to take.
It's possible she may benefit from draining, but most of the time draining is done as a supportive care and comfort measure to help extend a hens life. If she's eating/drinking, relatively active and laying eggs, then draining may not be necessary at this point.

Draining can be risky. You can introduce bacteria with a needle stick, a hen may go into shock or cardiac arrest. You may find that there's no fluid to be drained. Then again, things can go "right" too. It's up to you to weigh the risks/benefits.

Moments of labored breathing, is her crop emptying overnight?

It's always up to the keeper to determine what course of action they want to take.
It's possible she may benefit from draining, but most of the time draining is done as a supportive care and comfort measure to help extend a hens life. If she's eating/drinking, relatively active and laying eggs, then draining may not be necessary at this point.

Draining can be risky. You can introduce bacteria with a needle stick, a hen may go into shock or cardiac arrest. You may find that there's no fluid to be drained. Then again, things can go "right" too. It's up to you to weigh the risks/benefits.

Moments of labored breathing, is her crop emptying overnight?
Yes just checked this morning and her crop is emptying overnight. Just going to keep my eye on her.

Back
Top Bottom