Water belly, egg peritonitis, or something else? Need help asap

Mcruz86

Hatching
May 29, 2023
Hello fellow chicken friends,
My hen 747 abdomen has been extremely swollen, I thought she had water belly and did a syringe aspiration. The fluid was clear, the second time is was red bloody fluid. So I don't think it's water belly. Her swollen has gone down a little bit. I ordered antibiotics (tylan) to start treating for Peritonitis. Could it be something else? Should I cull?
Ps the red in the hay is a tomato.
IMG_7025.jpeg

Was the first fluid clear and colorless, or was it yellow? Ascites fluid is always yellow to dark amber in color. Clear colorless fluid is usually from a persistent cystic right oviduct. How far apart were the 2 draining sessions? Did you just insert the needle under the skin of the abdominal wall? I wonder if she might have fatty liver disease where blood clots could be inside the abdomen, or perhaps you hit an organ. Her droppings look bright yellow which is another sign of ascites and liver disease.

Was the first fluid clear and colorless, or was it yellow? Ascites fluid is always yellow to dark amber in color. Clear colorless fluid is usually from a persistent cystic right oviduct. How far apart were the 2 draining sessions? Did you just insert the needle under the skin of the abdominal wall? I wonder if she might have fatty liver disease where blood clots could be inside the abdomen, or perhaps you hit an organ. Her droppings look bright yellow which is another sign of ascites and liver disease.
Two days apart. Yes I did insert the under just under the skin.
I believe I will have to cull her, she can't walk at all. Her legs gives out. It hurts me to see her like this.

I'm with @aart. I'd end her suffering now.

I'd take a good hard look at what your feeding and switch immediately to a pellet or a crumble feed and no treats.

I'm with @aart. I'd end her suffering now.

I'd take a good hard look at what your feeding and switch immediately to a pellet or a crumble feed and no treats.
I've been using bar ale 16% Ultimate Layer Pak Non-GMO.
Do you have any suggestions on what type of feed I should use? I've had my flock since 2020. I haven't had issues with my girls until now. I'm very sad about 747. I will be culling my sweet girl.

I've been using bar ale 16% Ultimate Layer Pak Non-GMO.
Do you have any suggestions on what type of feed I should use? I've had my flock since 2020. I haven't had issues with my girls until now. I'm very sad about 747. I will be culling my sweet girl.
What is in the lower RIGHT corner of the picture?
It looks like corn and bird seed to me.
Do you feed any other treats besides this?

What is in the lower RIGHT corner of the picture?
It looks like corn and bird seed to me.
Do you feed any other treats besides this?
DuMOR Premium 5-Grain Scratch Poultry Feed. It's a random feed bag that was given to me. Feed store is closed today so I used that for today.
I give them cucumbers, blueberries, lettuce, tomatoes, watermelon.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom