Water belly in a 2 yo RIR

JensHens1987

Chirping
Aug 20, 2019
2 yo RIR who has had red rash to belly since January 2021. Treated with bag balm, then taken to vet this past may and given silvadene. Vet suspected allergy. Bathed today for better inspection and abdomen is very swollen- I’m guessing water belly?
Any advice from photos? Do you think water belly is right diagnosis? Drain? Cull? Comb is also a bit dusky.

Attachments

• 038E4EF4-FF2A-48D0-9A03-A31CD9293B95.jpeg
    038E4EF4-FF2A-48D0-9A03-A31CD9293B95.jpeg
    543 KB · Views: 16
  • 76743E40-9130-4872-8ED3-2E15B32F5D54.jpeg
    76743E40-9130-4872-8ED3-2E15B32F5D54.jpeg
    503.2 KB · Views: 9
  • C2826A71-9667-424E-9493-08194811689E.jpeg
    C2826A71-9667-424E-9493-08194811689E.jpeg
    384.8 KB · Views: 9
  • D8D08A3F-C432-4268-9C1A-18B4D08F3116.jpeg
    D8D08A3F-C432-4268-9C1A-18B4D08F3116.jpeg
    545.8 KB · Views: 10
Her belly looks enlarged, so ascites could be a problem, or internal laying. If you or the vet uses an 18 gauge needle, just under the skin, you can try to remove fluid from her belly. If the fluid is yellow, that is ascites. It can be common with internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, liver disease, or heart failure. Large combed chickens may have a bluish comb at times toward the back or tips, and the color may improve.

Thank you both for your replies. She looked near death yesterday- purplish comb, eyes closed, and swaying back and forth. I opted for the emergent fluid removal (since it was Sunday and I knew she wouldn’t survive the night). We took a 20 g needle and twist off syringe and removed 1.5 cups of ascites. After doing more research after, I think I pulled too much fluid and she appeared a little shocky. About 2 hours later she was eating, drinking, and scratching in the yard with the rest of the flock. I understand ascites is a terminal diagnosis but the aspiration itself was straightforward, so I may repeat today. I have lost confidence in the vet I used as I took her in a month ago for this and was told it was allergies and given a tube of $36 cream. I feel I was really late to picking up the signs.

if you look at my previous threads you will notice her belly started to look rashy October 2020 and I’ve been working with that diagnosis since :(. I feel horrible about it.

My next concern is the younger age of this chicken- 2 years old. So I may have to remove scratch/reassess food, unless I assume bad genetics.
Thank you both again!! A hard learning experience for me.

Sorry about the experience with your vet. That is why this site is popular, since many vets have little or no experience with chickens. Some may offer help, but it helps to be familiar with common conditions. Since ascites is a symptom of many untreatable diseases—internal laying, cancer, fatty liver, and heart disease, draining just gives temporary relief. I hope that your hen fells better.

After drawing off another 60 cc’s of fluid tonight, we noticed the drainage was cloudy with sediment. I believe my chicken is too young for heart failure and now believe this is advanced egg yolk peritonitis. Now my options are antibiotics, surgery (nope!) or cull… it sounds like antibiotics could work but that it is typically a vicious cycle that may return? She ate a dish of tuna tonight and drank water and slept in my lap (very unusual), so I think I know my answer. I believe tomorrow may call for another plate of tuna and… (why am I suddenly getting this hard lump in my throat?). 😢. She was a bully and big pain in the butt, but still my pet, and this will be my first loss from the 5 originals I got as day olds 2 years ago.

Her belly looks enlarged, so ascites could be a problem, or internal laying. If you or the vet uses an 18 gauge needle, just under the skin, you can try to remove fluid from her belly. If the fluid is yellow, that is ascites. It can be common with internal laying, egg yolk peritonitis, cancer, liver disease, or heart failure. Large combed chickens may have a bluish comb at times toward the back or tips, and the color may improve.
Thank you for mentioning egg yoke peritonitis- I believe this is the diagnosis.

Back
Top Bottom