Water belly or something else? Need help.

StormyRidgeChixLady

Chirping
13 Years
Jul 27, 2009
I believe my chicken has water belly. She has been lethargic in the coop, but was still roosting, etc. The other day I found her in the yard hiding under a ramp with her tail down looking very poorly. It has been getting very hot outside. I picked her up and felt that she had nothing in her crop, I could feel her breast bone and her belly. It was very liquidy/puffy. I had a chicken with this about 15 years ago and drained it with a needle. I know heat stress bothers them with this condition so I brought her inside. Tomorrow I will attempt to drain her belly. But she also has very loose stool/diarrhea and was curious if anyone thought that she may have a different condition before I start poking around on her. She is four years old . As I mentioned, she is acting lethargic, puffy, belly with fluid. She seems a little perkier from being inside and out of the heat. I don’t have an area indoors large enough for 2 birds for her to have a friend. I’m attaching pictures. This is how she is sitting in her cage. When I came home, she had gone to the bathroom several times and this is what it looked like. It is not solid, but she isn’t eating a whole lot so that may play a role , Apparently not necessarily feeling as though as she needs to get up away from her poo. she is interested in eating some and she has eaten some wet cat food, eggs with cottage cheese, but doesn’t seem interested in chicken feed even mash. I’ve given her water with probiotics in it and nutrition, rich but I haven’t seen her drink any of it. As you can see in the picture she is sitting up and is alert. If anyone has any ideas of anything else, this might be according to my descriptions and her Poo please let me know. Thank you in advance.

Attachments

• IMG_5262.jpeg
    IMG_5262.jpeg
    568.2 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_5260.jpeg
    IMG_5260.jpeg
    393.7 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_5259.jpeg
    IMG_5259.jpeg
    567.1 KB · Views: 16
I believe my chicken has water belly. She has been lethargic in the coop, but was still roosting, etc. The other day I found her in the yard hiding under a ramp with her tail down looking very poorly. It has been getting very hot outside. I picked her up and felt that she had nothing in her crop, I could feel her breast bone and her belly. It was very liquidy/puffy. I had a chicken with this about 15 years ago and drained it with a needle. I know heat stress bothers them with this condition so I brought her inside. Tomorrow I will attempt to drain her belly. But she also has very loose stool/diarrhea and was curious if anyone thought that she may have a different condition before I start poking around on her. She is four years old . As I mentioned, she is acting lethargic, puffy, belly with fluid. She seems a little perkier from being inside and out of the heat. I don’t have an area indoors large enough for 2 birds for her to have a friend. I’m attaching pictures. This is how she is sitting in her cage. When I came home, she had gone to the bathroom several times and this is what it looked like. It is not solid, but she isn’t eating a whole lot so that may play a role , Apparently not necessarily feeling as though as she needs to get up away from her poo. she is interested in eating some and she has eaten some wet cat food, eggs with cottage cheese, but doesn’t seem interested in chicken feed even mash. I’ve given her water with probiotics in it and nutrition, rich but I haven’t seen her drink any of it. As you can see in the picture she is sitting up and is alert. If anyone has any ideas of anything else, this might be according to my descriptions and her Poo please let me know. Thank you in advance.
I'm having the same issues today with my hen and know the signs. it's now an emergency. how did your hen do, what did you do for her? i know she has probably one day left if i don't resolve this. thank you

Back
Top Bottom