Water Consumption... How much should they be drinking.

WagarFamilyFarm

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 13, 2008
Nashville, IN
Hi,
My wife posted this over in the emergency forum but it's not an emergency, so I am moving it over here.

Our flock of 26 chickens, about 10 weeks old, just went outside a few days ago. They seem to be doing well but they're not drinking much. They seem active and okay but as hot and humid as it is, I can't understand why they're not drinking much and if this is concerning.

Thanks for everyone's help!

Last edited:
If they have shade, I would estimate 26 would be needing about 1 gallon a day, maybe a little less at that age but real close to the gallon or so. How much are they drinking?

Last edited:
We have a 3.5 gallon waterer and it doesn't seem to have gone down at all today. Now they are free range, if that makes a difference, however the only other water source is the dew on the grass in the morning.

Well, you did say humidity was high, and if they are eating seeds, plants, other junk, they can be getting liquid in that way too. Just check if the waterer's are clean of dirt and any detergents and they'll drink when they are thirsty.

*Maybe, you could try adding a little flavor to their water to tempt them while it's this hot. A slight dose of powdered Gatorade added may help, and maybe set up some temporary waterers made from empty jugs.

Possible that they dont know where to find it after being turned out? If the main waterer is inside the coop, try putting and ice cream bucket filled with water outside.... Maybe they are just having so much fun outside they forget to go in ????

Thanks for the ideas, we actually move their food and water out of their coop in the morning and then back in at night. I checked on it this evening and it looks like it went down about 3/4 of a gallon.

My chickens free range and I have a couple of bowls of water spread out where they usually rest. I also have the big water container inside the coop. They drink from all of them. I guess it's just convenient for them.

I was putting the chicks waterer out in the yard every time I free-ranged them, but they ignored it. I worried they weren't getting enough water until I saw a few of them drinking out of the goat's bucket. The bucket is bright red; I don't know if that made a difference or not. The bucket is a standard feed bucket from the feed store. Once they move to their permanent run, I intend to get another one just like it. It was three bucks, compared to what a poultry waterer cost. I do take care to make sure it's full at all times.

Back
Top Bottom