Water for mixed flock

Cklass90

Chirping
Mar 16, 2018
I am going to have a mixed flock of ducks and chickens. I'm building a pond for the ducks...should I provide a different water thing for the chickens? Or will they go and drink out of the pond? Some say having a pond with chickens is dangerous because they'll drown and others post pictures of their chickens swimming in their backyard swimming pool! So what's the answer? Do I need to keep the ducks totally separate I don't really want to. Also should the food be inside or outside - I don't know whether the answer is different for ducks and chickens. They will have a large pen but not be free range.

Chickens should have a separate waterer even though they may drink out of the pond. The pond will get filthy with ducks pooping in it.

Food should stay dry to avoid mold and botulism, so inside or covered is best.

Ducks make a mess with water and feed, and chickens are sensitive to chronically wet conditions. If your set up is large it can work. Sometimes drakes can try to mate chickens, especially if you have too many drakes. So good husbandry is needed to keep the species together, and sometimes that isn't enough. It all depends on room and number of birds in that area.

I would keep a separate water dish. One that you can empty and fill with fresh every day, or one with nipples to keep it clean, so that regardless of the condition of the pond water, there will always be clean fresh drinking water available.

Chickens should have a separate waterer even though they may drink out of the pond. The pond will get filthy with ducks pooping in it.

Food should stay dry to avoid mold and botulism, so inside or covered is best.

Ducks make a mess with water and feed, and chickens are sensitive to chronically wet conditions. If your set up is large it can work. Sometimes drakes can try to mate chickens, especially if you have too many drakes. So good husbandry is needed to keep the species together, and sometimes that isn't enough. It all depends on room and number of birds in that area.

Thank you so much. I have a chunnel from the coop to the pen so I should just keep that open when they're out and let them go in if they're hungry thirsty? Are they smart enough to remember where it is? I have 2 female ducks and 18 chickens and the pen is large I'm trying to remember the exact dimensions but the pond is 12' x 7' and only covers about a quarter of the area. Should I put water for the chickens outside as well as in?

Food I always keep inside, mine know where it is. Water I offer in multiple places. That can be outside or in depending on what's easiest. I personally would keep the species separately just to cut down on the mess and problems, but 2 female ducks may not cause a problem.

I keep some muscovy ducks in my big shed with my chickens. They make a bit of a mess of my waters and I have to dump them daily. Mine don't have a run, so they can get away from each other.

Back
Top Bottom