Water for new muscovy ducklings?

lauralou

Crowing
16 Years
Dec 10, 2007
Central Virginia
I have muscovy eggs that are nearing hatch date. These will be my first ducklings ever! What I'm concerned about is the water situation.

I have a water container in the pen that is about 3 feet by 2 feet, and maybe a foot deep. I don't think that it is appropriate for ducklings at all, so I plan to remove it, and put it in the new duck pen, where I will have a new drake and hen. But I have no idea what to replace it with.

What do you guys use for water for newly hatched ducklings? And is it okay to NOT have a bathing pool for a muscovy momma for a while? She really likes to bathe! (She is the only duck in that particular pen.)

Thanks in advance.

I think it is fine for muscovies to not have swimming water. They just need water deep enough to get their heads completely submerged and clean their nostrils, so a deep pan for drinking is all they need.

For the ducklings you can use a 1gl chook waterer. They work out great for ducklings and even the adults love to drink out of them. For momma duck just provide a nice bowl she can dunk her beak in. It is amazing how wet they can get with just a bowl of water!
lol.png
They will dip their heads down and splash it back and up and rub their bodies down w/neck & head & flap their wings. It's quite fun to watch.
lau.gif
Scovies are do really well at making use of small pools or puddles for their daily bath. Have fun w/your babies!

ducklings do not need to swim. a very shallow pan that they can easily walk in and out of is enough..

I have a "pond" for my ducks and geese. 2x3 feet and 10 inches deep.
they take turns.. the muscovys like to take full baths also.....

sure they can take a bath in a cup of water, if that is all they have, but I enjoy watching them really get into it..

I have always used the lid off of a large garbage can for a duckling pool. It is domed so if you tilt it and then support it that way they can get in and out where it is tilted down, water is shallow there, deep enough to really swim in the center, they like the high dry side too as they go there to sun themselves and preen. I have also used the basin off a regular bird bath tilted as above.

Baby ducklings not raised by their mothers should not be allowed to swim until at least six weeks of age, I personally don't go by age I wait until I see pin feathers.

Mother raised ducklings get coated with oil from their mother and so can swim without becoming soaking wet.

Hand raised baby ducklings do not produce their own oil and have no mother to get thier oil from so they are not water proof. If given water to swim in they will be come soaking wet and could chill and die.

A chick waterer works as has been mentioned. Or a bowl with large marbles in it.

Nobody apparently told ducklings about any of this, as mine will try to swim in a bottle cap if you let them.

Quote:
Sorry to disagree but it isn't the oil that makes them waterproof but the structure of the feathers or down. The oil is more of a grooming aid to keep the feathers and down in top condition. If your ducklings/goslings are becoming soaking wet you need to let them preen in a warm place so they don't become chilled. Preening is the key to feather/down condition.

I really appreciate the answers I have gotten!

Lots of good ideas. I'm sure that I can scrounge something up, and if not, it's a great excuse to buy a new chicken waterer! You can never have too many of those.

I was actually thinking along the same lines anyway, but since it's my first duck hatch, I'm a little nervous. Not sure that I trust my instincts yet.

Any other input is more than welcome!

They can swim as babies as long as you supervise them and don't let them stay too long. They'll get waterlogged and drown. Provide them a nice dry, warm spot afterwards and they're good as gold.
smile.png

Quote:
Sorry to disagree but it isn't the oil that makes them waterproof but the structure of the feathers or down. The oil is more of a grooming aid to keep the feathers and down in top condition. If your ducklings/goslings are becoming soaking wet you need to let them preen in a warm place so they don't become chilled. Preening is the key to feather/down condition.

Oh, I was not aware of that. Please tell me why incubator hatched babies get soaking wet and mother hatched babies do not? Both of my mother hatched and incubator hatched babies preen equal amounts of time in a day.

I hope this is not coming off as rude, I honestly am not intending it that way, I just would like to be better informed. Thanks
Tara

Back
Top Bottom