Water freeze

Any time chicken gal! I'm so glad it worked out for you. We are going to be super cold this week, below zero, the water we put out each day on the run will now have to go. We keep two waterers , one in the coop and one in the pen until it starts to get to cold to keep the one in the pen . Then we just rotate the coop water every day with nice warm water on the tin can heater so they can start there day with warm waTer to warm up with. We are still getting 4/6 eggs a day from 8 girls, ( other two are only 12 weeks ) pretty good for cold winter :) tomorrow I make quiche since I'm ahead 3 dozen eggs. Yay!

That's what I do too!! I just switch off the water. You know what? When I was feeding my chickens today I squatted down to feed them with eggs in my pocket. And you know what? Two eggs cracked in my pocket.
sad.png
Now I will have to wash a million times to get the smell out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But on the bright side one egg made it.

Last edited:
Im laughing so hard, 2 weeks ago I had an egg in my jacket and yep I was in the pen feeding the chickens and bang that egg broke when I was going out the door and I forgot I even had the egg in my pocket until my leg was wet and I could not figure it out. Then I went to put my jacket away and it was all over lol. As I type this we are having high winds and snow, I pray it snows 3 feet! We need the snow !

Yeah. I got some snow fall last night. We got about 3 inches. (I know not very much for alaska.) My chickens love to eat snow. But I am wonderig if that is ok?

I tried something simmalar to this with my chickens but i built a metal frame and put a bulb in it to put two waterers on. After it got below freezing for more than 3 or 4 days it wouldnt keep the water thawed. Then I added a second bulb and it still didnt work with longer periods of freezing temperatures. I eventually gave up on it but I need to come up with some new idea fast! Winter is coming!!!

My tin can hater and 75 watt bulb kept my 3 1/2 gallon metal waterer unthawed all winter last year, we got to 28 below. I hear folks also put the light in a cement block ad then set the waterer on top. They say these work well also.

I tried something simmalar to this with my chickens but i built a metal frame and put a bulb in it to put two waterers on. After it got below freezing for more than 3 or 4 days it wouldnt keep the water thawed. Then I added a second bulb and it still didnt work with longer periods of freezing temperatures. I eventually gave up on it but I need to come up with some new idea fast! Winter is coming!!!
What I normally have is 250 watt bulb. I have two but most of the time I just have one and it is fine. And if you go to a feed or tack store they normally have bulbs. But maybe you want to try different waterers too! I have a metal waterer and it works fine. But so does my plastic one. I don't know but, try different things.

Back
Top Bottom