Water freeze

Liked this idea, easy to clean and refill, no tipping and dumping my big fount
already had one from the dog in the yard, bought this one for $12.99, and the
insert is a $2.49 paint bucket.Just been toppin it off with a gallon milk jug
per another BYC members advise, have extra inserts to make cleaning easy.

Last edited:

Liked this idea, easy to clean and refill, no tipping and dumping my big fount
already had one from the dog in the yard, bought this one for $12.99, and the
insert is a $2.49 paint bucket.Just been toppin it off with a gallon milk jug
per another BYC members advise, have extra inserts to make cleaning easy.

I did this the first week last year then went to the tin can heater. The bucket was to open and m girls got it filthy with the wood shavings poop what ever lol. I went to using the tin can heater as there was less mess and I just got a five gallon metal waterer and went out each day and tipped it out side to clean the edges . Water was great for several days and not dirty like with open buckts. Less work !

I use the heated metal bases bought from Jeffers. Directions say use only metal waterers but I use the plastic 3 gallon ones on mine and it keeps the water from freezing all Winter here in Indiana.

I know they are not cheap but once you get past initial expense (approx. 35.00 ea.) they sure do the trick.

Cool. Where did you find them? Can you but them online?
Most feed stores, pet stores, and even WalMart have them, yes on line as well.
I haven't had the problems others have mentioned with it getting dirty. I use sand
in their run, and zeolite in the coop.In the picture you can see the cement block i have
it raised up on to the level of their backs. The small container is Oyster shell in a tuna can for added calcium.
The girls(7) were happy catching a few rays and dusting in the fresh cleaned sand in their run today.I'm glad
even with the doors wide open, they like their coop/run and go back to it to rest in the quiet warm sun

I also have a Barred Rock and I have my waterer raised with wood. Is that a Pearl White in the picture? If it is my Pearl White is about 4 and half months old. And she has a tall comb and a long wattle. I am worried that she is a rooster. Did you Pearl White half the same things as mine. I just don't want any roosters.

Last edited:
she is an amber white sex link named "Betty White"
love.gif
one of my sweetest girls!

I also have a Barred Rock and I have my waterer raised with wood. Is that a Pearl White in the picture? If it is my Pearl White is about 4 and half months old. And she has a tall comb and a long wattle. I am worried that she is a rooster. Did you Pearl White half the same things as mine. I just don't want any roosters.
Not so much with Betty, but I was convinced my RIReds were roo's because of their large combs, that's why I got Betty and my two other sex links, thinking I had three roos. Fortunately they all turned out to be pullets.....

Back
Top Bottom