Water Hearters

Fireraven0613

In the Brooder
8 Years
Aug 15, 2011
Do they make a water heater that doesn't need to be plug in... like a battery powered one? We can't get electric to our coop. It's to far away from the house so I worry about them having water in winter. Not to mention I'm not sure what to do to keep them warm.

How far away is the coop? In the winter I connect and run two 100ft extension cords down to my coop to power up the waterer heater. I'm only powering up a 40W bulb. One of these days I intend to dig a trench and run electric out to it, but there are too many other things ahead of that on my list.
Jack

Water Hearters = love water for your chickens
smile.png

I use an extension cord as well

It's quite a way... probably between 500 and 1000 feet away
sad.png
Not good at judging distance. The only probably with running extensions cords out there is the fact that it would have to cross our drive way and my husband would end up plowing it up all winter long. Not to mention he's electrician and shudders when I mention extension cords!

I'm not sure where it is that you live, but if you have temps below freezing which surely you do, then you're going to need electricity at that coop. I'd go the multiple extension cord route. Maybe your hubby could lift the plow blade a little higher to keep from hitting the cord. He could put a marker stake on each side of the driveway where the cord is at so he'll know exactly where not to scrape the blade on the ground.

The only non-electric waterer that I could find on the internet is here . Problem is, it is solar powered and only functions on SUNNY winter days. Up here in Michigan, there are very few "sunny" winter days. Animals are not able to maintain body heat if they are not hydrated and will expire rapidly without a reliable water source.

Good luck!
~Kelly~
My Country Chronicles Blog

Last edited:
Quote:
Thank you Kelly! I am showing this to my husband when he gets home. He's going to have to figure out something!

Quote:
Gale-
I had to chuckle when I read your comment. I grew up the daughter of a Mechanic. My dad owned an auto repair shop with his brothers. Our cars were always the last to be repaired. My husband is an automotive designer by day, and he also owns a side business where he is a builder. I don't even want to admit to how long it has been taking him to complete our coop. It will be nice one day, because he is very good at carpentry, but the bottom line is.....some day.

It stands to reason that poor fireraven with the electrician husband, will be using extension cords for some time. Just like the shoe salesman who's kids always had holes in their shoes.
wink.png

~Kelly~
My Country Chronicles Blog

Back
Top Bottom