1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Water help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kdcolorado, May 12, 2011.

1. kdcolorado

kdcolorado Out Of The Brooder

May 11, 2011
    I just went to check my first day baby chicks. They were in a 20 gallon reptile tank. i had a home made water contraption made from plastic jar
    with small holes place in a 1/2 inch lid. Apparetnly they knocked it over which caused all the water to leak out thru holes, the entire bottom was soked and feeder tipped over. What a mess and the babies were soaked. I have found something bigger and better ///What do i use for water? Its after midnight here too late to go to store, i am very worried. Any suggestions?

2. CowgirlPenny

CowgirlPenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    South East TN
    A small, shallow dish with stones/marbles in the bottom so they cannot drown will work. Just leave about 1/4-1/2 an inch of water above the stones.

3. kdcolorado

May 11, 2011
    OMGOSH thank you....i was in panic mode!

4. Anianna

Anianna Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    N/E of Richmond, VA
    I'm glad CowgrilPenny was up late. Just in case, I would add that you need to get the brooder dried out and put fresh, dry bedding in. Wet bedding is bad bedding.

I hope all is well now. [​IMG]

5. Lytlechick

Lytlechick Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2011
    Rome
    When you get your brooder set up and dry again, try to elevate the food & water with a pc of 4x4 lumber. When mine got to knocking food & water over I used duct tape on the bottom of both the feeder & the waterer to stick them to the board. Just make sure that the tape is not exposed so that the chicks dont get stuck on it. I also recommend that you observe them for a few minutes when you do this to see if they even notice it. Mine didnt and have had no trouble with this method. Good luck!

6. darkmatter

darkmatter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2009
  7. kdcolorado

May 11, 2011
    Thank You to everyone! I ended up finding a bigger wooden box, took the poor little things out of the wet mess. And gave them more space...i think i have the temp under control and the rocks work great in the water. Now I just keep checking every hour on them lol. They made it thru the night and are chirping away today. Thanks again.. Love this place![​IMG]

8. JerseyHen

JerseyHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2011
    Sussex County, NJ
    I started sitting my waterer on an upturned tercotta pot (one of the low ones that you plant cactus in) when mine turned 3 weeks because I got tired of all the shavings in the water and I used those sticky velcro squares to help keep it from tipping, because they now like to fly up and perch on the top. It is working really well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by