water in nesting area at night????

beccybumbles

Hatching
7 Years
Sep 22, 2012
hi i am new to chicken life. i was wondering if i need to put water in the closed off roosting/nestin box during the night????

We never do. Chickens are all but blind in the dark so they can't really see to drink anyway. We prefer to encourage them to just go in the coop to lay and to sleep, so we keep the food and water outside in the run where they can access it all day.

I don't raise chickens but the ducks don't get water at night because if they did their coop would be a giant watery mess.

When your chickens wake up in the morning, can they easily go where water is kept? If so, sounds like you are good to go. They don't drink at night, but they will hit the water fount in the morning after they get up. Good to have access to water at all times. I keep the food and water in the coop. I keep the food in, so as not to feed the local wild bird population, and/or draw rodents to the coop. In the summer, I'll put out an extra water fount outside the coop, can't have too much water in the summer.
Jack

yeah thanks all, they get let out at 7.00am straight into coop and with fresh water and food. you have put the last 4 sleepless nights to rest, wondering if they are thirsty lol. they have fresh water all day
clap.gif

THANKS XXXXXXX

Back
Top Bottom