Water in Run

Rosieposie6

Chirping
Dec 3, 2023
Hello everyone so I have a question. I leave water in my chicken run because I have two ducks. Right now in Michigan we are getting hit with a bad snow storm so they can’t go out to get water. Their run is connected to the chicken coop which in there I don’t leave any food or water. But I saw a video recently discussing chicken frostbite prevention and one of the big no nos was leaving water in their run or coop because it creates moisture. While I understand that I mean what are you actually supposed to do during a storm not leave water for the chickens and ducks I’m just confused. We will be getting some low temps like below 5 for a few nights here soon so should I just take the water out overnight? Since that’s when they’re prone to frostbite. Any suggestions would be super great!

I saw a video recently discussing chicken frostbite prevention and one of the big no nos was leaving water in their run or coop because it creates moisture.
Not leaving water in the RUN? Maybe someone is using the words differently than I expect? I expect the coop to be the sheltered, indoor place the chickens sleep, and where they probably spend their days in bad weather. The run is generally an outdoor fenced area, with or without a roof.

Keeping water out of the coop can make sense, as long as the chickens are able to go out in the run to drink. If they need to stay in their coop because of bad weather, then they need water in there to to drink during the day. Taking out the water at night might be a good idea, to keep humidity down as much as you reasonably can. Chickens will not drink in the dark anyway. I'm not sure about ducks.

As regards leaving water in the run, I cannot see that it would ever cause a humidity problem, unless you cover up the sides of the run so much that air cannot move in and out (that would effectively turn the run into a "coop," more sheltered but with less ventilation than a run usually has. If that is where the chickens spend their days, that is where the water should be.)

While I understand that I mean what are you actually supposed to do during a storm not leave water for the chickens and ducks I’m just confused.
You are correct that chickens and ducks need water available, at least during the daytime while they are awake.

We will be getting some low temps like below 5 for a few nights here soon so should I just take the water out overnight? Since that’s when they’re prone to frostbite. Any suggestions would be super great!
Chickens will not drink in the dark, but I don't know for sure about ducks. Taking the water out at night is probably reasonable. Just give it back at a reasonable time in the morning (don't make them wait until noon or anything like that.)

I am in the Thumb.

Ducks will be fine in bad weather. Their feathers have more protective oil on them than a chicken does. This is why they float. My ducks were always in the pond, even as it was icing over. I would suggest leaving the water in the run. As long as they are able to go in and out of the coop at will, they will be fine. They are tougher than you think.

Back
Top Bottom