Water in winter

definitely cool ideas ... so no one recommends those water heaters then?

We live in Eastern WA, it regularly gets down to -5 to 0F (not counting wind chill). Rare (may not happen for years) drops to -20F. Last winter I measured -9F and used this set up with success:

5 gallon bucket with horizontal watering nipples (free bucket, $13 for 5 nipples shipped, 1 nipple waters 6-8 birds)
250W K&H stock tank de-icer (about $34 shipped on Amazon at the time)
6-foot cargo strap to hang the bucket (about $6)

Some people don't mind changing/cleaning the water every day or two and just use regular waterers or pans. Maybe they're retired or don't have to work. I hate it and the coop is far enough away from a water source to make it a real inconvenience. The horizontal watering nipples work great. The vertical ones are not my favorite, they get our birds wet, dribble onto the bedding when being used and are prone to freezing up. The horizontal ones are more expensive, but are SO much better, imo.

There are several threads on watering nipples (both vertical and horizontal). If you want to read a comparison of the two, check this thread out:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...-vs-horizontal-spring-loaded-watering-nipples

Last edited:
Thanks, Ron. So they don't get too hot?
I have the cookie tin heater as well and I just plugged it in this past week as we are into frigid temps already. I have a 25W bulb in the tin and have it sitting on ceramic tiles on the floor just under the hanging plastic waterer. The tin and waterer just barely touch but there is enough warmth there to keep the water from freezing and doesn't get hot. Just feel it from time to time to make sure it is only warm not hot. This has worked perfectly for me.

I also have a timer on the light in their coop. It comes on early morning and shuts off about suppertime. It then simulates daytime as it isn't very bright in their coop. They seem to like it.

Back
Top Bottom