Water Poop

BRAHMA-MAMA2011

Hatching
8 Years
Sep 28, 2011
sad.png
I have 13 Peeps all together. I have 3 Light Brahma's who are 30weeks. They are not laying and 1 has been seen pooping a watery blast. I have seen white water poop on the ground b4 we got 14 inches of snow in a night. They seem to be fine other then the explosion of water poop. I am wondering if n what it could be. The feed seems to be eaten in the usual amount. I dewormed them , they are fed the same combo of Layer crumbles n scratch, I give them vitamins n electrolytes on sunday, along with yogurt on wednesday. I thought I was a good chicken mom but I just don't know the answer to not laying and water poop
sad.png

can anyone help?

I just went through a similar situation. Maybe my experience can offer some insight? Wazine last Saturday, safeguard today, and sevin dust in their dust bath area. I had roundworms and lice! It took a toll on one-she died. The others are now doing great. They were having water poops for a while. The poops didn't start to firm up until Friday, 6 days after the Wazine. Good luck.

Welcome to BYC and you ARE a good chicken mommy, because you care!
welcome-byc.gif

I don't have a solution or an idea but it's ironic that you should have this posted because I'm having the same problem with a 2 1/2 year old NHR hen. She's had watery runny stools for about three weeks and that's the only symptom. She eats, she preens, all her feathers grew in nice and shiny after molting and she chases the dog away from the food with a hard peck.

I notice it in the coop when I clean under her spot on the roost that it continues during the night. She's the only one with the problem and it's been going on for at least four weeks. They ate Layena during the summer but I switched them gradually back to Flock Raiser for the protein content in the winter. I did put some cayenne pepper in their food for about two weeks hoping to discourage the dog but stopped that about two weeks ago. I wormed them all yesterday and gave them some kefir poured over their crumble.

I'm going to go do a search for ideas. I have the Chicken Health handbook by Damerow and read up on the possible diseases but didn't really find anything out except losing a night's sleep because some of her symptoms match those for tuberculosis. She's just too lively and healthy acting for that.

I'll let you know if I find anything. You have the right idea about giving them electrolytes especially the younger ones. As for not laying, sometimes the lack of light will affect even the young ones. They should start when the light picks up. I don't think that Brahmas are prolific layers.

Some people have luck feeding pumpkin, fresh or canned, to animals to firm up stools. I gave mine the cooked pumpkin guts from the pies and she still has the runs.

Mary

All these electrolytes, vitamins, additives, pumpkins, yogurt etc...is what's causing diarrhea. Stop all of that stuff and feed them regular feed and water and the diarrhea will eventually stop.

OK?!! I DID SOME RESEARCH AND IT ALL SAYS WATERY POOP IS A SIGN OF OVERHEATING, HOWEVER IT HAS BEEN 30-50 HERE AND WE HAD 14 INCHES OF SNOW LAST WED.! SO I AM WONDERING IF MAYBE THEY WEREN'T EATING PROPERLY DUE TO THE FACT THAT THEY WERE ALL"COOPED UP" DURING THE STORM??........ MY PEEPS WOULDN'T EVEN STEP OUT INTO THE SNOW...WHAT A BUNCH OF CHICKENS!! LOL!!
lol.png

I JUST SHUT THE COOP FOR THE NITE AND NOTICED THERE IS A LOT OF "NORMAL" FIRM POOP!!! I JUST STARTED OFFERING THEM OYSTER SHELL BACAUSE I WAS TOLD TO SILLY ME FOR NOT KNOWING WHEN N HOW. SO I SHALL NEVER KNOW BUT ONE MORE FOR THE BOOK OF UNSOLVED CHICKEN MYSTERIES!! THANKS TO ALL OF YOU FOR THE GREAT KNOWLEDGE:D

Hello, just reading this string of posts, and our chicks are having some watery poos as well. We are in Michigan and just got our first heavy snow fall last night of 10 inches....but for about 2-3 days we had steady rain. The ladies are all eating well, Layena along with some greens, a papaya and cantelope of the weekend. They are drinking alot. The temps have really dropped as well.

All 6 ladies are in various stages of molt and have not layed for approximately 2 months.

This is our first winter with them and of course we want to make sure that they are comfortable as can be thru the winter.

Any suggestions would be great. Thanks!

Well I guess I'll join in here because I have a hen that started her first molt about 5 days ago and about that same time started having watery poop. When I say watery I mean pure liquid squirting out of her rear and soggy bedding under the roost. Maybe I have seen a little green stringy stuff amid the watered down bedding as well. She's not laying but I attribute that to her molting. Her other symptoms are fluffing up her feathers and napping more during the day. She is not eating well either. I just fed her some warm oatmeal and some cottage cheese because I'm afraid she is loosing too much weight. I've read that molting hens need extra protein and that some owners feed dry cat food to give them a protein boost. I've done that but she is not that interested. It's not too cold here in Tucson, AZ yet but should I put her in a cage and bring her in the house to monitor how much she eats, drinks and poops? Any suggestions? I am very concerned.

Use Diatomitious Earth 100% food grade. Mine had the watery poop and turned out to be round worms and I had already dewormed with stuff from the local feed store. I feed it daily and dust them and the coop with it. There is no wait on eggs or chickens. Its all natural. Its better than sevin dust. I will not be without it. Check out on the internet. Once you try it you wont be without it either. It saved some of my chickens.

Quote:
I have to kindly disagree. My Barred Rock was just sick, watery poop like what is described here was one of her symptoms. We gave her Pedialite and a little Greek yogurt with olive oil mixed in and she did quite well. Her diarrhea stopped in less than a day. The enzymes in yogurt are good for their gut. I use all natural yogurts. I would definitely avoid swetened yogurt or yogurt with artificial sweeteners(yuck).

Back
Top Bottom