Water Quality Problems

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mikeallenbrown, May 8, 2016.

1. mikeallenbrown

mikeallenbrown New Egg

Apr 18, 2014
    Currently I use a 3 gallon plastic bucket that I fill daily. My issue isn't needing to fill this every day it is that algae grows super fast in it! Almost every day I need to scrub it clean. Is there any natural additive I could add to help with the algae? ...side note: I plan on going with a hanging waterer soon (the double walled steel type). Maybe algae isn't an issue with these?

Thanks in advance.

-Mike

2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Rinsing with a 10% chlorine solution a couple of times a week should help.

3. pdirt

pdirt Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2013
    Eastern WA
    Tips to keep algae growth down:

* Keep the waterer out of direct sunlight, this will help the most.
    * Add a dash (1-3Tbs) of vinegar to the waterer (most people use Apple Cider Vinegar)

Note: do NOT use vinegar or any other acid in the double-walled galvanized steel waterers...it will corrode/rust the waterer.

You could also add bleach to the water (instead or in addition to the rinse Sourland mentioned), though I don't know the ratio. And you do NOT want to mix vinegar and bleach. Use one or the other. ACV has some other health benefits whereas bleach does not.

4. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I recommend ACV in their water. It has health benefits not sure right off the to of my head, but I use this and do not have a problem. I have a 7 gallon water. Keep it out of direct sun light as well.

5. Cindy in PA

Cindy in PA Overrun With Chickens

Jul 8, 2008
    Fleetwood, PA
    The only time I had black spots in my waterer was when I put ACV in my water one summer, so I don't believe it is a cure all. I don't know how it will work for algae, but I could ever use it. Best thing to keep it out of the sun. Never had a problem, because my food & water are in the coop by an east facing window.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by