Water question

My current setup is pvc with horizontal nipples in covered run and have an open waterer outside the covered area. I don’t get a sense they get enough water when closed in the covered area. When I let them out the seem to drink a lot.

Just think I might be better off putting an open water in covered area as well.

Thoughts?

Chickens if given the option seem to prefer an open source for drinking water. I'm guessing they can't get a good full drink from nipples.

Chickens will follow the path of least resistance when given the choice of nipple waterer or open body of water. I think it's instinctive--if one method requires (even slightly) more energy, it's going to be second best.

They will thrive with either method, but if you offer both, they will prefer one over the other.

My current setup is pvc with horizontal nipples in covered run and have an open waterer outside the covered area. I don’t get a sense they get enough water when closed in the covered area. When I let them out the seem to drink a lot.

Just think I might be better off putting an open water in covered area as well.

Thoughts?
I TRIED both style nipples... but the girls would only drink water drops off my finger. The bottle went untouched. Now I use a coffee can waterer suspended in a metal plant hanger. It’s just high enough they don’t kick debris in. I moved it into the open run so rain will fill, but weather hasn’t cooperated. Inside the coop, I strapped a 1 litre insulated coffee mug to the wall hardware cloth. I change both daily. So far, so good. Sorry I can’t edit the pic here. Ya don’t have to spend lot$$$.

Attachments

• F264C4DC-96A7-4E6E-BCF7-B0992987797D.jpeg
    F264C4DC-96A7-4E6E-BCF7-B0992987797D.jpeg
    46 KB · Views: 6

Back
Top Bottom