Water reserve system DIY

We got our first GQF cabinet incubator. I have found it goes through water extremely quickly, I looked at purchasing the water reserve kit but here in Canada it is over $100. I did a search and can find nothing for a DIY system. Anyone do this?
How quickly? You could hook up something like this: https://www.amazon.com/60-DPM-Needless-Admin-Set/dp/B00B9IYZS0 or some drip irrigation fittings to a bucket for a cheap and easy solution. The downside is that if it drips too much, it'll flood. The IV line will drip less volume and is somewhat adjustable. You should be able to source the IV line locally from a veterinarian or medical supply. Then cut off the luer lock fittings at the input side of the tubing and attach them to fittings that you'd get at a home improvement store, attached to your reservoir container (bucket). Make sure to seal the fittings installed in the bucket with silicone.

Other applications for small fittings like that are fish tanks (air), nitro RC cars (fuel), small engine lawnmowers (fuel), commercial banner printers (ink), under sink water filtration systems, and home brewing (that I can think of off the top of my head). Most of them are brass or stainless, so they'd work fine. If it doesn't come with a tiny hose clamp for the tubing, use a zip tie for extra security.

The float valves that are used in the GQF system can be found at a feed store (watering bowls and trough supplies), or a home improvement store (window air conditioners/evaporative coolers and toilet float valves made for small tanks). Replacement media used in an evaporative cooler or large humidifier might also work as a more efficient sponge.

Or, if you have a leaky chicken nipple waterer, you could repurpose it with some tubing and a new bucket.

Put the bucket off to the side, not directly above, your incubator; and make sure you have a drip loop in any power cords.

Back
Top Bottom