Water source

Feb 15, 2022
I live in a place with very hard water, so we soften our whole house. Outside, the spigot is untreated water. Our dog hates softened water, honestly, I hate the taste too, but it’s just so hard on our pipes and stuff. Softened water is here to stay, so with that said, does anyone have an opinion as to water quality for our chickens? Should I give them the hard city water or softened water??

My theory is this..when an animal will peck corn out of poo or lick it's own butt it doesn't matter as long as it's clean😁 We have well water with a lot of lime in it. The hose outside isn't food grade water and comes directly from the well. My girls get hose water unless the hose is frozen..then I have to haul it from the house.

We have very hard water. And our water has high iron to. I give it to our chickens and they do fine. Although the water i drink is triple filtered.

Mine get rain water. Or water from the well. If hard water was horrible for chickens, they likely would not have survived medieval Europe, where the hardness of various waters are key to certain beers.

A Munich Helles? Hard Water.
Burton on Trent, home of Bass and Marstons? Hard Water
Newcastle on Tyne? Hard Water.

Now, a Czech Pils? Soft water. But who wants to drink one of those?

Back
Top Bottom