Water temp observations

jmagill

Songster
Mar 9, 2009
Western Wyoming
I thought that this might be helpful information for some.

Temp. ranging from 14 to 40 the last two weeks. I had not put the heater in my waterer until two days ago. I use a nipple waterer( bucket). I have one in the coop and one outside. The outside one was frozen most days and sometimes it thawed out. The inside on had not froze but the water was cold.

I put the aquarium heater in the inside one and took out the outside one. It keeps the waterer around 50 to 60 degrees during the day. Water consumption doubled. Egg size had also decreased a bit and now has rebounded. These layers range from 8 to 10 months old and started laying at about 25 -26 weeks old (Sussex).

They are drinking more water because it is warmer. Nothing else has changed.

I'm confused. So did your water freeze (the one on the outside) even though it had a heater? What type of set up did you make? I'm wanting to take 2 five gallon buckets, cut the bottom out of one. Wrap the other with heat tape and stick it inside the bucket with the bottom cut out with nipples of course installed at the bottom.

Quote:
Do you have a pic or link of this set-up? Thanks!

I kind of do, this is from a copyrighted ebook... but this is just an excerpt to give you an idea... PM me or email me for more info:

heatedwaterer.jpg

Does that help?

Back
Top Bottom