1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Water Weasel?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Hope0491, May 28, 2007.

1. Hope0491

Hope0491 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2007
    VA/PA
    Hey Everyone!

I just heard about this thing called a water weasel. So, I looked it up and it seems really cool! haha... I was just wondering if anyone else uses this method and what your thoughts/experiences are with it. [​IMG]

Thanks!
    ~Lacey

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Mine was called a "Water Weiner" and I bought it for $2 at a discount store, but WalMart sometimes sells them for less than $1. It works well to simulate the temps in an egg, which change less rapidly than bator air temps. Here is my orange one in action:
    [​IMG]

3. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    I paid .88 cents at walmart for mine in the toy section mine was call a water wiggler. I also bought the humidity & temp. for reptiles from petsmart as a back up. The humidity readings are the same as using the water wiggler & the probe as it is with the reptile one. I like using both.

4. Chelly

Chelly Cooped Up

May 11, 2007
    What does it do for the eggs?

5. Alleyoops25

Alleyoops25 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    I 2 would like to know. I know the ones the kids have had are fun to play with. But never thought of actually having a use like this. Soo would some body please tell Chelly and I what it is that it does.[​IMG]

6. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Ok I looked around the forum and finally figured it out. And of course the post by speckledhen makes perfect sense now. She gave a very short answer to how it is used. So the answer was right in front of my face, Duh!![​IMG][​IMG]
    Anyway here is a longer version for people like myself. And if I screw it up let me know. A water weasel is place in the incubator and warms to about the same temp inside as the inside of the eggs.(simulate the inside of eggs) YOu can stick a thermometer inside of it and have a fairly accurate geuss as to what the temp is inside of the eggs and then adjust the temp. according to the reading of the thermometer. So am I right or am I still lost?

7. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    You got it right.

8. Alleyoops25

May 14, 2007
    Colorado
    Great!!Now its off to Wal-mart to buy me a water weasel....And probably a bunch off other crap I really dont need.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by