Water Wigglers How does humidity work?

moonlitfarms

Songster
12 Years
Aug 17, 2007
Indiana
I have a coulple questions. I am in Indiana and looking for these famous "Water Wigglers" I know from pics what I am looking for but were do you find them. Dollar General, about 4 different ones, think I am nuts! No luck at the Dollar Tree.........please help. Second question it's been very cold here, if the eggs get cold in the coop before I get them will it keep them from being "hatchable"??

Last edited:
It took me forever to find a wataer wiggler, and I finally found some at a Dollar General. If you can't find any and you want, I could see if I could find more and you can have them for cost + shipping. They were $1+tax $1.07. Just pm me if interested.

First of all, the water weasel is only a tool to simulate the interior temps of an egg, which do not fluctuate as rapidly as the air temps. When you see with your own eyes the egg temp is staying stable, you're less likely to adjust the thermostat too soon. You don't need a water weasel, so if you cant find one, don't sweat it. Just know that air temps will go up and down and you are looking for an average and that the internal egg temps are not going up and down anywhere near as fast as air temps.

You dont want eggs to freeze, so if you're collecting for hatching, just do your best to get them before they go below 45 degrees, if you can. They may feel cold to the touch but not be too cold to hatch.

You can make one with a ziplock (or other type of closable bag) filled with water, sealed, and folded over. Insert the temperature probe in the middle of the fold so that it is equally surrounded, and use rubber bands to keep it all together.

I know your frustrations, been looking for one myself! Try asking for stress relievers, I have not done that yet but it might work.

As long as your temperatures weren't freezing the eggs should be okay, best if collected just after being laid.

I just found mine at Walmart for 88 cents!
wink.png

Vicki

Don't stress over getting a water wiggler...all you need is your temps to be correct....I have never used a water wiggler....

Your eggs will do just fine...bring them to room temp before setting them in the bator....

Yes...just keep your temps at that nothing higher than 102 and you will do fine......still air bator temps...101 to 102....

This water wiggler is not going to help with your air temps...some just use it to show what the temp should be like inside of the egg ...and you have to have a thermometer with the probe to put in the wiggler......I do not use one never have ......

Last edited:
That is correct. I went to five different places before I found my. Don't bother asking anyone at the stores for them. They won't have a clue as to what you are asking for. They ones I found at Dollar General were by the bubble blowing stuff.
yippiechickie.gif

More questions, i happened to stumble across a water wiggler last night. Yippee for me. But I got my 2 Accurite therm/hygro combos now my questions.

If you have the probe inside a water snake then can it mesure the humidty properly? And you only put the probe inside the bator, not the entire display right?

And is it really nessesary that the room temp be between 65 and 75 degrees. I wanted to do this hatch in my basement which seems to stay between 55-57 degrees. Will this matter.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom