waterdog turned salamander

ArizonaNessa

Joyfully Addicted
10 Years
Apr 7, 2009
Texas
Ok I know this is a chicken forum but it is MY only forum and maybe a few of you wonderful BYC people can help me out. I have raised a salamander. I have no idea what kind he/she is. All I know is my neighbor had some waterdogs left over from a fishing trip and he gave one to my son for a little pet and it turned into a salamander. I have found all kinds of info about housing them and feeding them but I can't find the answer to my question. It's a cool little critter and so far I have just been feeding it every other day a small pinch of raw hamburger meat. The other day I read that they can eat things like crickets and I caught one in the yard. OMG the little guy went bonkers nuts for it. I want to get more crickets but I don't know how often to feed the little fellow. Sorry for the long rambling but any info or links that might help would be greatly appreciated. Oh and I don't know if this matters but the little guy is about 6 inches long from tip of tail to tip of nose and about 3/4 of an inch wide.

Is he local to your area?

In the Willamette Valley of OR, we have these cute little guys:

12104_421387558_0b50f9e45a_o.jpg

They are rough skinned newts and have the dubious distinction of being one of the most toxic creatures on earth. They exude poison from their skin.

If you post a picture we can have an easier time identifying your pet.

I have googled and I have found him. I know all about how to care for him except for how often to feed him. For some odd reason everywhere I have looked has left that small tidbit out. He is nothing that was caught wild or anything. You can buy them by the dozen at the bait store or marinas.

This is what he looks like but this is not my picture. My camera is not the best.

A_tigrinum1MAXWELL.jpg

I'd give him a couple crickets and a tid bit of meat once a day.

You can also give him other insects and bits of meat, small fish, etc.

He'll eat until he pops, so a good rule of thumb is to give him as much food as he'll eat in just a few minutes.

I used to keep waterdogs, but I kept mine a bit cool so they never morphed.

smile.png

I worked in a bait and tackle shop in the early 60's we sold both. when they would morf we sold them as a salamander. that is what water dogs do. Bass sure love them. So do cat fish. We fed them every day. They can grow pretty big.
old.gif
Have you ever put one of those bad boys on a hook? Catching the fish that likes them. What a thrill.

Last edited:
Does he live in water ? Put some guppies in the tank with them that way he will have food available to him at all times and then just feed him watever else every other day ??

They also love earthworms. You can grow your own earthworm farm in a bucket w/holes in the bottom, dirt from your yard layered with newspaper, and occasional green waste added (lettuce, veggies - no fats/meat/ etc). You can also google "do it yourself worm farm" and get more info. Mealworms are OK occasionally, but their crunchy outter covering can be hard to digest. You can buy crickets at any pet store. Variety is good!

It looks like a tiger salamander. I had one do that and it turned out to be a beautiful striped creature. The colors will come out as it matures. They love earthworms..............

Back
Top Bottom