Waterer and Feeder for coop vs brooder

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by pipsqueekPDX, Oct 25, 2011.

1. pipsqueekPDX

pipsqueekPDX Out Of The Brooder

Sep 22, 2011
    Portland
    I'm about to move my girls outside into their coop, and had a few questions about feeders and waterers. 1. should they upgrade to a bigger size? I have those quart-sized upside down mason jar feeder (with several small holes) and waterer. Are those ok for the coop? Do they need bigger feeder/waterer set up? As far as the water, could I just put a shallow dish out there? Also, do you all like to put the water in the hen house or in the run? Thanks!

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    I upgraded to a larger size. Then you don't have to fill them as often and they are less likely to knock the water over.
    I keep the food and water in the run to avoid a mess in their small coop. I put the food away at night in a secure container so as not to attract pests and then hang it up in the morning when I let them out of the coop.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2011
  3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Upgrade sounds good. I always like big. I have feed and water in the chicken house, run, and chicken yard.

4. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    The little ones I had in the brooder are much smaller than the ones I use in our coop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by