Waterer frustration!!

i have a large plastic one and it leaks all over the place what I'm i doing wrong? my chick we in 3 inches of water I put the black cap on fill it up put the large cap on loosen the little black cap, should stop when the water is to the right level?

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Perhaps re-phrase it? Or post a photo? To post a photo (easiest/best on the website version of BYC, not the mobile version), click on the little photo icon in the text editor:

Check to make sure yyou haven't lost the rubber washer from inside the lid. Make sure it's in good condition and not cracked and letting air in, preventing a vacuum from forming. Lastly, you might be over tightening the large cap. If you over tighten it, the rubber washer around the inside of the lid gets distorted and it allows air in so a vacuum can't form and the water just keeps pouring out.

Check to make sure yyou haven't lost the rubber washer from inside the lid. Make sure it's in good condition and not cracked and letting air in, preventing a vacuum from forming. Lastly, you might be over tightening the large cap. If you over tighten it, the rubber washer around the inside of the lid gets distorted and it allows air in so a vacuum can't form and the water just keeps pouring out.

I totally forgot those things can happen. I think I remember seeing that a new gasket can be purchased for those waterers as well.

ok this is a new water holder. tried it again i don't think that I'm over tightening it but not sure one day it will be fine then the next day water all over? going to try making the chicken nipple watering bucket. thanks for the help

I use the Harris farms ezfill chicken drinker. It fills from the top and hold a lot of water. I use oxine to keep green algae from forming. In the winter I switch to a large heated dog bowl with a built in temperature switch. It only heats when temps get to 35' or lower.

At over 100' (HUMID TOO) I'm not happy with the effort that my birds have to go through for a long time to get enough water with nipples of any kind. I prefer the open waterer. I also cannot keep nipple waterers from freezing in the winter, even with wraps and heated tapes.

I use the Harris farms ezfill chicken drinker.  It fills from the top and hold a lot of water.  I use oxine to keep green algae from forming.  In the winter I switch to a large heated dog bowl with a built in temperature switch.  It only heats when temps get to 35' or lower. 

At over 100' (HUMID TOO) I'm not happy with the effort that my birds have to go through for a long time to get enough water with nipples of any kind.  I prefer the open waterer.  I also cannot keep nipple waterers from freezing in the winter, even with wraps and heated tapes. 

Yeah when it gets near or over 100F, I also put out a regular open waterer. I keep the nipple waterer near the coop (less shade there) and the open one near the shady spot they like to hang out at. They'll use both waterers but I think they appreciate the closer one during the high heat.

As for the nipples freezing, the vertical ones are much more troublesome. The horizontal ones I have not had freeze yet. A $35 stock tank deicer keeps them from freezing.

Last edited:
Yeah when it gets near or over 100F, I also put out a regular open waterer. I keep the nipple waterer near the coop (less shade there) and the open one near the shady spot they like to hang out at. They'll use both waterers but I think they appreciate the closer one during the high heat.

As for the nipples freezing, the vertical ones are much more troublesome. The horizontal ones I have not had freeze yet. A $35 stock tank deicer keeps them from freezing.

After reading this post I cleaned my Harris Farms waterer and filled it with ice. The chickens immediately flocked to it. I don't like this waterer but I'm willing to apply a little extra effort in the heat. They have horizontal nipples in the coop but hang out in the "jungle" when it's hot. Thanks for the idea!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom