Waterer outside?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mrbstephens, Jun 18, 2009.

1. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Songster

My chicks stay locked up in the hen house from 8pm to 8am. I moved the waterer outside because I didn't want it to spill inside. I'm trying the DLM and want to keep it dry. When I let the chicks out today they made a beeline for the waterer and drank like I never saw them drink before. The chicks are 10 weeks old and it's not hot here at all. Is this OK?

2. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Songster

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    I'm using DL method also and I have the bulk of my water outside BUT I have a 1 gallon can inside. I just have it sitting on blocks so it's keeps it cleaner.

I'd never leave them with out water.. ever...

3. lux_interior

lux_interior Songster

Apr 28, 2009
    Joliet
    yeah, I have an automatic dog waterer outside for them during the day, but also keep a small 1 gallon inside. I have it on top of two square patio blocks to keep it above shavings.... [​IMG]

4. lalyswishytail

lalyswishytail In the Brooder

Jan 13, 2009
    Chicago area
    Like the previous posts, I also use the DLM and keep a waterer on a cement block inside of the coop. I haven't noticed a problem with wet litter around the waterer. I agree with MIKE555444 though: the chickens should always have access to water--egg laying is a thirst-inducing business!

5. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Songster

Thank you for your responses. I'll put their 1 gallon waterer back in there. [​IMG]

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Put an old tray or baking sheet under it, helps contain the spills. I have also used plastic plant saucers for a tray.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: