Waterer - Problem with pooping (chickens - not the waterer)

I had the same problem. My silkie pullet loved to perch on my double-walled siphon waterer and I was cleaning the poop out of it every morning. So, I bought 2 water bottles with the brackets that you hang on the side of the coop -- often used for rabbits, guinea pigs. They have a metal spout with a ball bearing at the end. The chooks learned right away how to nudge the ball bearing and get plenty to drink.

I have only a micro-flock though, 3 chooks. This wouldn't be a workable solution for a bunch of chickens.

My feeder sits on top of a cinder block and just fits under the nest boxes as does the water bucket and that keeps poop out of both. Luckily my BIL built the nest boxes high enough off the floor with a ramp for them to walk up to the nest boxes. God bless BILs.

I use the funnel with a rope tied to the handle then through the funnel then tied to something on the ceiling. Now the waterer is not actualy hanging, it just keeps the funnel in place and chickens will not get on it let alone poop in it. It employe the same method on nest boxes to keep them from roosting and pooping in them as well, just create any kind of strong slope and WA-LA !!!.

AL

Definitely going to have to do something this weekend. I am cleaning it out every morning. I could move my waterer but it is convienient where it is. I will either try the lid or funnel on a string or put a sloped roof on a hinge attatched to the wall. The hinge is so I can move it out of the way when moving or filling the waterer. I am leaning towards this solution. I like having the coop open without hanging things getting in my way.

Thanks for the ideas.

Quote:
It has a handle at the top? Hang it up! My chickens did that til I hung it up on the rafter with rope. No problems now.

She can not hang it and keep it on the heater. The whole purpose of the heated base is that the waterer must sit on it to prevent freezing.

I have to put things on top of my one nest box and feeder to keep the hens from perching and pooping.

Cut the top off of a big soda bottle. Ours is too big to hang- okay, it is too big for me to unhang. Cleaning is easier this way. Also, those plastic tubs that protein supplement comes in makes a great stand for the water-er.

now, If I could figure out how to keep the rooster from kickboxing the hanging feeder and knocking all the feed out, we'd be set.

Quote:
do you mean the big cattle protein tubs? I have used cinderblocks and it just doesn't get it high enough off the ground to keep the bedding out and what do you do with the top of the soda bottle?

Ours just fits snuggly over the top of our type of water-er, but with yours I wound suggest tying a string to the handle and a string onto a dowel. Then feed the dowel through the top (neck) of the large 2/3 liter soda bottle. Then tighten the string down with one of those knots that you use on tent stakes. (I would make a poor boyscout, sorry-A slip type knot) The small dowel should not hang over the cap area too much or they will roost on it. or maybe you could figure out how to just screw the cap on over the string.

I use soda bottles for funnels all the time. Trash/treasure and all that...besides any money is too much money lately. I don't buy it unless I have to. The plastic is too slick to grab onto and they are easily replaceable.

The pan we have is a hard plastic it is wider at the rim than at the base, so when it is turned over the water-er fits perfectly but has a stable base to keep it from getting nudged around. It is a bit higher than one cement block. I have Orpingtons, they are rather tall, I suppose it all depends on what height your girls are.
Our container was from a protein supplement for sheep. They scooped it up with their bottom teeth. Let me look on line and see if I can find it. Not that I would suggest going out and buying sheep food to store your water-er on.

Maybe you can put the base on a piece of cardboard, draw a template, cut it out and take your circle to the hardware store or Feed store and with the height of your girls in mind measure a bunch of hard plastic tubs flipped upside down.

I hope some of that makes sense. I am having trouble communicating lately.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom