waterers

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by grullablue, Apr 8, 2008.

1. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Our chicks are two weeks old now. I'm doing all I can to keep fresh, clean water in front of them all the time. They are getting the pine shavings in it just as quickly as I give it to them. (I bought a chicken waterer with the bottle on top, stainless steel pan on the bottom). Does anyone have any wonderful ideas to help decrease the amount of bedding they get in the water? Or different waterer ideas? I'm wondering if I put a piece of cardboard in the corner underneath the waterer if that might help? I change the waterer SEVERAL times a day, but the minute I put it down, they've already got bedding in it, and within several minutes, it's saturated with bedding. Of course I know it's important for them to have fresh water available at all times. Since I'm new to this, I'm hoping others who are experienced might be able to share what works for them!

Angie

2. cluckychick

cluckychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    South of KCMO
    Raise the waterer up off the shavings. Put a 2x4 block or something similiar under it [​IMG]

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I've been keeping a puppy pad on one side of the brooder under the waterer and feeder, that seems to help alot.. They don't get to kick the pine shavings into them as much....

4. mandomama

mandomama Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    corvallis oregon
    I was having the same problem and i put an old cutting board (plastic type) with a paper towel over it and then put the waterer on top. Seems to be working and I can change out the paper towel a couple of times day and it helps keep the brooder a little cleaner.

5. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    Quote:I'll second that.

I have a large thin piece of wood on that side of the brooder, with a thicker block under the waterer. Make sure its not TOO high, up to chick chest is as high as it should be.

You'll have to change the water once a day anyway - but this should help keep it from being TOTALLY full of shavings.

6. Jolly_Rancher

Jolly_Rancher Out Of The Brooder

My two tsc chicks are 2 weeks old, I had the same waterer on a 3/4 in piece of vinyl board and just noticed this week they were kicking up enough shavings to dirty the water way too fast, ie seconds after I changed it.. I added another block, raising the waterer a total of 1 1/2" off the floor, and so far.. no shavings in the water all day... yipee!!

Now till tomorrow for thier new trick..

I am sure it will have something to do with these newly sprouted tailfeathers.. [​IMG]

(if I could figure out how to post a picture on this site I would but so far..[​IMG]

7. jnjross

jnjross Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    edwards, ms
    I sat mine on an old 9in cake pan, i have a slide top feeder i place it close so they can't scratch around the waterer
    tomarrow they will start sitting on the water bottle

Last edited: Apr 8, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by