Watering Ducks with Chicken Nipples??

Ducks must be able to submerge their bills in water or they develop sinus issues.

I use a gravity waterer, such as this.

4YK_wall_mount_kit_with_4YGB_game_size_bowl_200.jpg

Last edited:
To answer your question ,yes. All my birds are water bottle trained. Ducks included. However they need to have water deep enough to stick their beaks in completely.

I only use bottles for my ducks incase I cant get home fast enough to re fill the dishes ,and one should never use a bottle as the major source of water.

Ducks can and do use nipple waterers, but as others have said, they do need to have water deep enough, someplace, to submerge their whole bills so they can clear their nares (nostrils).

I use a nipple system in the duck pen. This keeps the pen very dry. They only use this when they are penned up at night. During the day they have access to many open deep water containers. I have been doing this for a while with no adverse effects. I use the bright orange nipples that can be tightened by a bolt and inserted into the bottom of a suspended 5 gallon bucket.

I have a bucket with chicken nipples in my duck pen (as well as a larger swimming pond) and even the week old ducklings use it (with the aid of a brick to climb up to reach it--as it is set at adult height!)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom